Buying used Yamaha FX HO - Advice needed

Hey there, newbie here so be gentle!

Looking at buying a 2005 Yamaha FX HO. It has been sitting for approx 2 years and has 115 hours on the clock. Had a quick look today but the battery was dead so couldn't be started, going back in a couple of days. Can you give me some ideas on some problem areas to check and any hints on how to knock the owner down on price. I am pretty handy and can fix/repair most things.
    Cheers

+1
    Take a battery and swap out. Check to see if oil in hull. Check the dipstick and see if any. Might have drained down, but if not in hull, might be ok. I would see if it turns over and after 2 years, should crank. As far as taking down, tell him it will need servicing, check cables, gauge, seats and pump. Any of those not in order can get it down if he hasn't already taken off for them. Never said what he's asking? A trailer? Condition?

Thanks for the reply leejax01
    I went back this arvo and had another look. Owner had replaced battery and the ski started first pop but:

Hull Damage – Large ding to Starboard Bow, significant scratched to hull underneath
    Numerous exterior scratches
    Strut to bow storage compartment damaged from rust/corrosion.
    Mould and sun damage to exterior hull

Engine has rust/corrosion on cowlings
    Rust/corrosion on carburettor linkages
    Rust/corrosion on numerous hose clamps and fittings
    Engine oil level below lowest level indicated on dip stick
    Engine oil very thick and black
    Signs water has been sitting in hull for some time – green algae
    Rear linkage cables for steering split and corroded
    144.8 Hours on ski, not 10 hours
    No service history for 3 years.

Owner had no knowledge of how to maintain a jet ski
    Started jet ski without water running through it, which means no cooling for the engine - MAJOR CONCERN
    Engine oil was too low to operate - At very very end of dip stick below L marker
    Owner had no knowledge on how to properly flush the cooling system – he indicated the hose attachment was for hosing down the jet ski. No idea it was for attaching to the cooling system to flush it out

Due to sitting unused impeller would require replacement – perished rubber
    Steering cables require replacement
    Would require full service – oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs.
    Full flush of cooling system. This would involve removal of numerous plates from the engine and depending on how bad the internal corrosion is (external is pretty bad) may require removal of the engine.
    Strut on forward storage compartment requires replacement
    Repair damage to hull to prevent hull rot
    Relace all rust/corrosion effected parts

No trailer
    No registration

Bear in mind I am in Australia (brand new theses are $19000) Owner asking $7500. He paid $9500 3 years ago.

Offered $3500, he refused, I walked away.

+1
    Sounds like a piece of crap ski. It's a shame people let great skis go to crap and think that they are worth something.
    It does sound like the ski is going to need some major services and parts replaced. Big money to get it back into good running condition.

I would walk away ....

5. +1 by:

What makes you think it needs a full flush of a cooling system, which involves moving numerous plates??? That doesn't make sense. What plates are you speaking of , and what indication gave you the idea the inside was completely trashed?
    For the record, you can start a ski off the hose for a period of time and not hurt anything.
    What is a perished rubber impeller? Are you talking about a bearing seal repair, cause thats easy and if it 50 bucks for parts here, id assume itll be 100 there, common maintainance that happens between 175-300 hours...
    Why do you think the impeller needs replacing. Did you remove the pump and inspect it physically ? Was it bent, off balance or out of pitch?
    Yamis are known to have rusty hose clamps and are very prone to corrosion...hose clamps are just part of the maintainance..it sucks but, it is what it is.
    low oil level doesn't mean the entire motor is toast, the fact it was reding on the dipstick is a good indication that it wsnt too low. Completely not touching is of concern but Your machine has low level alarms, and if it get to the point where the level is too low and can cause real issues,the computer will go limp, an alarm will soundon you and only idle speeds. Of course you want levels proper, but after a simple day of riding, it can loose some oil...I don't check oil till before the ski goes out on the water, then I add necessary, maybe that guy did too. I've seen vx and fx untouched for years and left alone work flawlessly without issue.
    My SHO strut went bad after 3 years, again and inevitability with salt ran machines
    All skis need a good cleaning, especially if ran on the ocean a lot. It's not a make or break situation, but I bet a little simple greener purple power would have made the inside of thr moldy hull look flawless. I clean my daily used skis once a month because of basic mold and let the air dry all day when not in use..if I let I go for a year or three, im sure it would get bad, but it's not something i would consider that ruins yamahas

You said it started first pop,did you check compression and did you take it for a drive? How about gps number or did you base your entire decision off a once over on the physical appearance of motor and hull decide it was too much? Did it misfire or throw a code ? Did it stutter or stumble

Full tune ups are simply maintainance. If you knew he didn't tend to much for it, then so what if you had to a little put more in it, thats when the negotiation comes in...

I'm not trying to knock you at all,but the points you listed just didn't make complete sense. I'm just trying to get a better understanding if what you are talking about. How long have you been around the fx platform and or waverunners in general

Thanks for the response kwtony, some very useful info there. I have a pretty good mechanical knowledge, do all my own servicing on my cars and bike and have had boats, outboards, for years but never owned Ski so they are new to me. My last Yamaha outboard had a number of plates you could take off the head to get to the cooling system, I just assumed these engines would be similar. I was told that the impellers will perish over time, especially if not used and about $600 to fix here (took that on face value as I know nothing on how the jets work). I am on a very steep learning curve here!
    The amount that this guy did not know about ski's scared me. The fact that he didn't even know how to run fresh water through the cooling system says to me it hasn't been flushed for 3 years.
    It has been sitting on a boat ramp less than a foot away from salt water for 3 years and looks like crap and he wants top dollar for it.
    In comparison for the same money I am looking at a 2007 FX160 that is registered, with a trailer, 120hrs, full maintenance history, just been serviced, has been maintained very well and looks great in the photos.

+1
    Remember you get what you pay for. I would move on. Fixer uppers are a crap shoot and I wouldn't do it on a ski I expect to keep long term as a personal rider.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapson View Post
    Thanks for the response kwtony, some very useful info there. I have a pretty good mechanical knowledge, do all my own servicing on my cars and bike and have had boats, outboards, for years but never owned Ski so they are new to me. My last Yamaha outboard had a number of plates you could take off the head to get to the cooling system, I just assumed these engines would be similar. I was told that the impellers will perish over time, especially if not used and about $600 to fix here (took that on face value as I know nothing on how the jets work). I am on a very steep learning curve here!
    The amount that this guy did not know about ski's scared me. The fact that he didn't even know how to run fresh water through the cooling system says to me it hasn't been flushed for 3 years.
    It has been sitting on a boat ramp less than a foot away from salt water for 3 years and looks like crap and he wants top dollar for it.
    In comparison for the same money I am looking at a 2007 FX160 that is registered, with a trailer, 120hrs, full maintenance history, just been serviced, has been maintained very well and looks great in the photos.
    Sounds like a way better option mate. I just bought a fresh water used, 2002 FX140, 160hrs, $5000. It needed a new pump, service, air filter, plugs etc. Spent an extra $1000 on it and its like new. Definately wait for a clean, looked after ski.

Thread Information