+1

What's my 1998 yamaha gp1200 worth?

I have a 98 gp1200 in mint condition. Only problem is that it has no spark, I have been troubleshooting for a while now and have no idea what is wrong. The engine is strong, turns over and has 125psi of compression across the board. Riva stage 1 intake lot, solas impeller, r&d ride plate. When running this is a 65mph ski. I have replaced to CDI, Ohmed the magneto and it looked ok, I'm lost now. This ski is iacualte aside from the no spark issue. I have run into some financial problems and need to get rid of the ski within a couple weeks and was wondering what my asking price should be as is? It comes on the trailer pictured, also if anyone local is interested I'm in Tampa bay Florida.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	315823   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	159 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	315824  

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	684 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	315825

+1
    I spend quite a bit of time on craigslist looking for my next project ski... In daytona, 98 GPs seem to be priced around 1500-2k w/trailer... Might be worth it to sell your aftermarket stuff for a few $ if you have stock parts...have you tried to find someone local to give ya a hand for pizza and beer? id definitely get it running first

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you're going to tank a nasty hit in the wallet trying to sell that ski not running

+1
    Running that's a 2500 dollar ski all day long. Not running about 800. Have you checked for spark at night ? Meaning in the dark? It might be very very dim but there. If it is then you are looking at a fuel problem. If you just looked at the stator and it looked ok it might still be the stator. It sounds like a stator problem.

+1
    You did check the ignition fuse right? Did you ohm out the stop switch and the temp sensor? Either one of those bad can cause a no spark. When you crank it over are your gauges lighting up.

+1
    Yes, the stator is Ohmed and in spec. Haven't checked the temp sensor or the ignition switch. I tried to unplug the ignition switch as directed by someone else and no cigar. And yes, the gauges so light up when I try to crank.

+1
    and you are able to crank it? after plugging in the code AAAA or ABCA ? if you were riding for example and it just shut off, and you stopped getting spark, your stator is fine, you got a new cdi, and checked to make sure the brown wire is getting signal, it really could be as simple of a fix as a faulty temp sensor...

+1
    I would hate for it to be that simple... LOL.. And yes, it cranks and all is normal just no spark at all to any cylinder. I was riding fine at 60 when it just cut out for no reason. It seemed to stumble for a few seconds, it ran at idle for a few seconds then died and I got nothing after that. Is there a way to check the temp sensor without replacing it?

+1
    L
    Quote Originally Posted by brblommel View Post
    I would hate for it to be that simple... LOL.. And yes, it cranks and all is normal just no spark at all to any cylinder. I was riding fine at 60 when it just cut out for no reason. It seemed to stumble for a few seconds, it ran at idle for a few seconds then died and I got nothing after that. Is there a way to check the temp sensor without replacing it?
    Yep, the testing of the sensors is covered in the service manual under electrical

Thread Information