Thread: Powervalves

Powervalves

Does anyone know (stupid question, SOMEONE always does on this forum!), should the powervalves on an XL1200Ltd stay open from 5000rpm all the way up to rev limit (7000rpm)? Mine open at 5K, then shut at 6K, but it revs to 7K, then re-open at 6K on the way down, then close at 5K and stay shut! Can't decide if this is right or not! Thanks'. DW

+1

Cool

think your getting rpm spike thats hard to see many times,valves will close after hitting rpm limter (what year ski?)

llater cd

Hi, it's a 1999 XL1200 Ltd. Non-cat 155hp, 3 cylinder English model, with 65 hours on the clock. You're right, it's hard to see, and I HATE revving the thing to it's limiter off-load, but it does SOMETIMES have a very dull exhaust note when it hits high revs, then goes clean, then dull in cycles. I've got new carbs coming from USA (although I think they're coming on the Titanic as I've been waiting 2 weeks nearly), so it may just have been an issue with the high end adjusters being siezed on the old carbs, but I'd like to be sure before our summer starts! (it don't last long enough to have a ski with running issues to sort out!!!). Thanks'.

+1

Cool

bud ,on early 1200r motors valves would slam down HARD when reaching limter,see if can find protec box or there power valve controler(used?)
    that would heilp big time,if install just use good waterproof splice(go solder in)

later cd

ps what bike in pix?

+1
    The protec box (CDI) only had the rev limiter removed you need the servo controller to stop the valve issue. also Advent or Gas Valves solves this problem but pricey.

Read what Pro-Tec says about the oem system
    http://www.pro-tecperformance.com/gpr1.html

Thank's you guys, an interesting link. Once again Greenhulk comes good with TOP advice! As it's very rare to hit high revs for long in our Irish Sea chop, I've only felt this happen on a very few occasions, but I know that it's not just me being paranoid now! (If only the voices in my head would stop arguing with each other.....!). The bike is a 2003 Triumph Thunderbird 900cc triple. Picture taken at Creg-Ny-Baa on the Isle of Man TT Course last June (during TT race fortnight). The Triumph factory is in Hinckley, Leicestershire, about 150 miles from where I live, and I've been on tours 3 times since it opened in 1991. It's VERY hi-tech, and warms my heart to see British bikes out there, without guys kneeling in the gutter wondering what went bang (again, and again, and again!). Cheers DaveW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	114_1419.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	480.3 KB 
ID:	18941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	113_1329.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	324.9 KB 
ID:	18942  

Should have said- Left pic is me on my baby, right pic is me WITH my babies (or they were babies once upon a time!) Jay is on the 250 Hornet 4 cyl (16000rpm redline!!!), and Lil'Dave is on the CB400 Superfour. Pic taken at TT Grandstand, Isle of Man. Needless to say Paula's gone shopping!

+1

Cool

sweet,I was born & raised in meriden (connecticut) so have intrest in Triumph from days gone buy ,we had dealer in town next door,shuster cycle sales-southington conn.

later cd

Nice one! I've a Meriden Bonneville (circa 1977) I restored a few years ago, and I'm currently 'involved' with a 1973 Trident. After the T/Bird they're like driving a tractor! I went to Meriden after a visit to Hinckley once. The old Triumph factory is now a housing development- Bonneville Close, Daytona Drive, and Trident Avenue etc. are all that's left of the old Triumph days (and some say 'good riddance'!). I still buy my parts for the Bonnie' from a guy in Nottingham who worked in the stores at Meriden, and he can quote EVERY part number of every bike from 1964 onwards!!! I would love to find an original Hurricane (Trident with very trick tank and seat, and 3 into 1 exhaust) to restore, but me thinks there is more chance of finding rocking horse pooh! Sorry if this is taking this thread too far away from its origin, but I could go on for days about the demise of the British bike empire!

Thread Information