2001 Polaris Virage,701,3 seater,red engine.Engine revs up but won't move forward.

I know this has already been discussed but I could not find a previous post.When I crank the ski in forward,the engine revs up but does not move forward.Something slipping?Is there a key that maybe I broke?Any and all help would be appreciated.I was taking the ski out of the lake to take on Vacation in the morning when this happens,so I am hoping it is a quick and simple fix.Thanks in advance.Bill

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Remove the jet pump and inspect the drive splines at both ends of the drive shaft, and the mating engine coupler and impeller. Do not lose the little rubber bumpers on the ends.

Also check the rubber bonded coupler for signs of slippage.

See my signature links for details on removing the jet pump and the rubber bonded coupler.
    Last edited by K447; 10-08-2013 at 07:04 PM.

K447,Thank you so much for the help.I removed the Jet Pump.Splined ends look great,The rubber bonded coupler is torn.I can not find it as a separate part?The impellar was locked up with a piece of wood.Thanks again for the help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by felderlostnspace
    Quote Originally Posted by K447
    The rubber bonded coupler is the big round drive shaft coupler attached to the rear of the engine.

If the engine was turning and the impeller was jammed and not turning, then something in the driveline has striped or failed. The engine is directly coupled to the impeller, one cannot turn without the other unless something is broken.

There is a round seal where the driveshaft goes into the impeller. It should be replaced if it is damaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by K447
    I really appreciate your response to my post,2001 Polaris Virage drive shaft or impeller slipping.How do I get to your instructions on removing the jet pump.Sorry,I am new to this.Thanks again for the help.Bill
    Just follow the links from my signature, which should appear right below my posts...
    Thank you so much for the help.I removed the jet pump and checked the splines.They looked great.The only damage I saw was a stick caught in between the impellar and the housing causing the impellar not to turn.The round rubber bonded coupler is torn.I guess that what you are talking about,It is on the end of the shaft that goes into the impellar.Thanks again for any help.Bill
    Ok,Thankls again for the help.I found the coupler that is at the rear of the engine and will try to remove it.Dont know if I will have it ready by tomorrow noon to leave on vacation,but I am going to try ...
    You do not need to remove the engine coupler to inspect it. A small mirror and light will often be enough. Do not stick your finger into the coupler, metal splinters are painful.

To remove the coupler, search for my notes on the 'rope trick' which is needed to hold the crank shaft in place while you use a really big wrench to loosen the coupler from the engine.

Thread Information