Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spark Hull

Spark Hull

Sorry if this was discussed already... but the new hull design is plastic right? or something similar

When they break, from hitting another ski, dock or even a rock; how can they be repaired?

Fiberglass is awesome, so easy to fix.

How will we repair these new hulls? Plastic welding? ha ha

Dealers will start getting repair kits in. Jetski magazine had an article in the latest issue that briefly touched on it.

+1
    Interesting question, i'd like to see how the kits work

Read this on the internet, non spark specific.
    PP can be melted using a speed welding technique. With speed welding, the plastic welder, similar to a soldering iron in appearance and wattage, is fitted with a feed tube for the plastic weld rod. The speed tip heats the rod and the substrate, while at the same time it presses the molten weld rod into position. A bead of softened plastic is laid into the joint, and the parts and weld rod fuse. With polypropylene, the melted welding rod must be "mixed" with the semi-melted base material being fabricated or repaired. A speed tip "gun" is essentially a soldering iron with a broad, flat tip that can be used to melt the weld joint and filler material to create a bond.

With the way these skis are, remove the top, eight bolts will unbolt the engine, rubber straps will remove the airbox, and install in a new bottom. All electronics and coolant bottle are attached to the air box

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    With the way these skis are, remove the top, eight bolts will unbolt the engine, rubber straps will remove the airbox, and install in a new bottom. All electronics and coolant bottle are attached to the air box
    The problem with this plan is with the prices of BRP parts. I am sure that you could buy a Spark for about what BRP would charge you for the hull. After 3 or 4 years, I know you could buy a used unit for less than the hull from BRP. It is nice as heck to have the option to replace the hull without a glued top deck.

Homer, AK, D.F., MEX., Now San Antonio, TX
    +1
    If a CF epoxy hull weighing not much more than the plastic OEM were to come available, would people pay $5,000 for it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    The problem with this plan is with the prices of BRP parts. I am sure that you could buy a Spark for about what BRP would charge you for the hull. After 3 or 4 years, I know you could buy a used unit for less than the hull from BRP. It is nice as heck to have the option to replace the hull without a glued top deck.
    This is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If a CF epoxy hull weighing not much more than the plastic OEM were to come available, would people pay $5,000 for it?
    Highly unlikely.

Homer, AK, D.F., MEX., Now San Antonio, TX
    +1
    Just thinking out loud here a bit. Thanks for indulging me.
    A couple of questions if you don't mind;
    Are the hull running surfaces as untrue to design as a typical FRP hull, i.e., is there "hook" in the last 6" maybe of the bottom, if you lay a straight-edge on the back two feet of the running surface is it concave? This is from "oil-canning" or shrinkage.
    How is the fit to the ride plate and intake/intake grate?
    Obviously, these skis are fun to jump. Doo knew this would be and made the engine bed beefy. Are they beefy enough? Is the hull bottom transition to transom beefy enough?
    The whole idea of this ski is a home run but I'm thinking that the plastic will not age as well as FRP. Sun and heat will be an enemy, be careful. I'll revisit this at the end of the summer, as I have some ideas that I think will be improvements on the already great ski.
    Oh, one last question - fun for the dollar (not dealer support, looks, anything else, just fun); Spark or perfect condition F12 Honda for the same price?
    Thanks much to anybody who takes the time to answer. - Mark

+1
    I have had one smashed and wasn't repairable ... It got ridden off and new one replaced

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information