Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1100 Kawa fuel delivery issues

Sorry if this is covered some where else, however, I am new to PWCs and 2 strokes for sure. I purchased a 99 Kawa 1100 ZXI that had sat for 5 years. I thought I cleaned the carbs and siphoned all the gas I could get out of the tank. I got the ski to run and took it to a small creek to test. I made two separate trips and thought she was gonna clean out by riding her. But after the last ride I checked the plugs, the aft cylinder was black as I would suspect, the center clyinder had a little black on the electrode and the bow clyinder looked new with no traces of oil.

Tonight I cleaned the main, pilot and float jets as well as checked the float valve for wear. I started her up and she does sound better, but when I check for heat between all the cylinders by feel (I don't have a ir thermometer, the aft clyinder feels hottest and the bow clyinder is coolest. Do you all think she will come around or do I have a case pump problem. What should I check to verify? Any help is appreciated.

+1
    I just cooked my Stx motor because of a stuck inlet needle on cylinder 3. Burned a hole in the piston and then seized the lower rod bearing before I could get back to the dock. It's going to cost me about $800 to rebuild it, so I would say make sure it's fixed before going out again.

+1
    Welcome aboard, Pozer!

If the plug looks clean, it's not firing. Could be lack of fuel or lack of spark (in which case it would be wet). It won't clean itself out. You might try running some SeaFoam in the fuel, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Try giving it a little choke and see if it runs better. If so, that confirms the lack of fuel.

I think you'll end up overhauling all three carbs before you're done.

One more thing: check for proper cooling of the stator by removing one of the cooling hoses and blowing through it. They get clogged very easily.

Thanks for the responses, I been through the all the carb except what's inside the vacuum pistion. The diaphragms and seal look to be in good shape. Ive put a full can of seafoam and filled her up with 93 octane Fuel. When i had her on the water she finally got up to 3700 rpm at full throttle. We varired the choke position to get the best results and stay running. She still will not idle. Am I going to have to adjust each pilot and main jet idivually by disassembling the carb. When I put these jets back in I just seated them fully. I'm worried about running her too much with no fuel flow. I just blew thru the hose coming off the brass fitting that goes into the head and hear air coming out of the hull, also removed the cap that leads into the exhaust pipe at the top and also hear air.

+1
    3700?! something is bad wrong. These things run over 7000rpm at WOT.

It is not a closed cooling system. Get a manual so you will know what you are looking at. You are going to need it.

+1
    Regarding stator cooling, look for the oil pump on the front of the engine, in line with the crankshaft. It's mounted on a flat plate that has 6 (I think) screws. There are two brass fittings and two hoses that go to this plate. Make sure you can blow through that.

Thanks steve45, I will check that tomorrow! Thanks again.

I would do a compression check since its been sitting for 5 years. I would also confirm all the cylinders are firing. You can do this by removing two of the three plug wires and ground them and start it on the one cylinder. If It fires move that plug wire to the next cylinder and start it again and then the same with the third cylinder. If it fails to start on one of the cylinders that is where your problem is.
    If It runs on all three cylinders then I would check the other two plug wires and see if they are firing. It will run like crap but it will start on one cylinder.

Don't have the tools to do a compression check, clyinders 2 and three will turn by themselves, clyinder 1 or the bow clyinder will not attempt to turn over. If I did a compression test and confirmed would that mean a complete tear down of the engine? I placed my thumb over clyinder 1 and the pressure would push it away. All I can think now is reclean number 1 carb to try to get fuel.
    Last edited by Pozer; 10-13-2013 at 07:23 PM.

+1
    A compression gauge is fairly cheap at your local auto parts store. Thumb over the spark plug hole is not a good indicator unless you have zero pressure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information