+1

Red face BEWARE - Aftermarket Fuel Pumps for DI fuel systems - Orbital Direct Injection

Be aware that all the lower priced fuel pumps offered for Seadoo's with DI engines are flawed in that they have NO check valve built into the discharge port like the factory SEADOO fuel pump.

This does cause a fuel system malfunction in that fuel pressure will drop to zero psi immediately the fuel pump stops instead of being maintained at 30psi when engine is stopped. This can bring starting problems

If you are working through your fuel system diagnostic flow chart you will find that once you have fitted an aftermarket pump that doesn't have a built in check valve (or is sent with a check valve to insert into fuel line) that you will arrive at a diagnosed failure of the fuel pump every time.

IF you fit an aftermarket pump and you would like your fuel system to function correctly and have no starting issues (MAINT LIGHT) - you need to fit an inline check valve - 5/16" is the hose size.

My own craft is a GTX DI 2002

+1
    Thanks for the heads up. I have an 02 DI that I will be putting back together soon. I have been following your thread and this is definitely something to note. Amazing how the little things can drive you crazy.

+1
    I have an 03 XP DI with 105 hours, original fuel pump. Many of the 03 models failed within 75 hours. I guess that I have been lucky. I know the OEM pumps are expensive, how much can you save with an aftermarket pump to deal these issues?

+1
    I went through 3 pumps in a row brand new from HighFlowFuel that wouldn't make the DI run. I set up a test station and made a video of the actual problem seen here--> .
    I told them about the design issue or possibly a bad run of parts and they didn't act like they cared at all. I figure they probably make enough on each one that if 1 in 5 works then that's still profit. Cheap imported crap that will cause you nothing but headaches. Buy OEM even if it's good used.

+1
    Buy oem. Bar none on a DI.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    I went through 3 pumps in a row brand new from HighFlowFuel that wouldn't make the DI run. I set up a test station and made a video of the actual problem seen here--> .
    I told them about the design issue or possibly a bad run of parts and they didn't act like they cared at all. I figure they probably make enough on each one that if 1 in 5 works then that's still profit. Cheap imported crap that will cause you nothing but headaches. Buy OEM even if it's good used.
    Great test and video, thanks.
    I have also tested in a similar way, to find that some non-OEM pumps don't perform quite that bad. The spring in some pump bypass valves is to weak for the 107 psi needed. I have used screws, epoxy, etc. to plug the bypass to achieve the needed pressure. The OEM pump does not have a bypass, since the Orbital fuel rail has a return line. I have tested the OEM pump to over 165 psi before I shut it down to avoid damage. So it is a totally different type of pump. The bad part about the OEM pump is that it has metal internal pump parts that will corrode with water in the fuel. Most of these cheaper replacements have a totally different pump design with plastic and composite parts (no metal).
    I have four 2001 GTX DI that I am currently running with 3 different non-OEM pumps with very good results. The only pump that I would recommend against, that has failed for me, is the Walbro GSS-342. Two different High-Flo, and a third cheaper pump are still working for me.
    You have to plug the bypass port since these pumps are made for automotive use at usually 40 to 60 psi max. Not all of those bypass springs are as weak as the one you show in the video, so some are working for other folks. I just plug the port so I don't have to worry about losing any pressure.

Thread Information