Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Old School Never Dies! codemanrose's Avatar

Work starts now, just started on the Raider

Now that the basketball season is over, I started work again, which means more parts! I just took the cover off the Raider yesterday and its good to see her again. First thing that needed done was the footholds. I have made up my mind of what I'm doing. I'm gonna bring the stock look back to the raider. I ordered the royal blue hydro-turf for the raider and when it gets warmer I'm repaint the front hood trim, Handle bar cover trim, dash trim, mirrors, and rear tail grab all the stock colors. They are gonna look brand new. So hopefully after a long process of taking everything off and totaly re-doing the hull to make it shine, its gonna look as close as I'm capable of getting it like it just came out of the factory (of course the performance is different and the mats will say hydro-turf). It's been about 40 degrees but thats not stoping me from working on it outside. I just started working on it yesterday for about 2 hours before it got too cold, same as today. That means not much is even done, but I was able to rip all the the footholds off eccept for the back and the back right mat. I got the left side all cleaned up pretty good, and tomorrow if its warm I will have all the mats off and mostly have the mat area of the hull all cleaned up and ready for the new mats when they come. This is all I have so far and what is still being worked on. It's will be a slow process at the beginning but once school starts gettin over, then I really hope that its, if not, all completed and looking brand new straight from yamaha. This is gonna be something totaly different for me, and hopefully I have fun doing it. I think it makes my dad nervous that a 17 soon to be 18 year old kid is doing, ordering, and making his own decisions on this, but I have a good feeling its gonna turn out great. This is what I have so far...like I said, its not much, this is just the very beginning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOT0006.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	656.4 KB 
ID:	18890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOT0007.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	873.5 KB 
ID:	18891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOT0008.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	590.2 KB 
ID:	18892  

SWEET!! Sounds like you are taking on a large project, but all your work will payoff in the end if you stay after it. I also am going thru the process of repainting my raider....althogh I am changing a few colors.
    But cant wait to see how your boat turns out be sure and take pics along the way. L8r JDog

Codeman good to hear you are able to start your project. To me part of the fun of having an older ski is being able to work on it and keep it looking good. Good luck with your project I'm sure you will do a good job.

take your time and ask lots of questions...I remember when I first built mine up, that is one of the fun parts.codeman look into ,Overtons, there new catalogue has now, spray cans in different colors, that is flexible, and an adhiesion promoter, a primer ,and a sealer, all in spray cans the blue looks real close to stock, I might get a chance to try it on my brother in laws Raider..but it is pricey....

Really? Im gonna have to go look at my mag from them then. I also heard that bumber paint works really well too. Primer, and then that. I will look into it more. I just need to get the rest of the footholds off. Today when I get home I have to get that back trim off so I can get the the back mat piece. My dad is bringing home some adhesive from work that he said will take all the old glue cement off from the mats. Hope it turns out good today.

you can order your hydroturf's with out the logo.. carl at island is where i got mine.....

Codeman. the hard part is putting enough glue on the pad to hold it but not enough to squish out the sides, if that makes sense, I use the DAP cement from Walmart, .waterproof, and VERY strong, strong smell too, must be used outdoors.........this stuff holds no matter what, just brush it on the mat close to the edge , place it where you want it, let it sit for a second, then pull it off and put it back on, the heat that is made by pulling it off like that will make it REALLY stick ........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I was gonna use that stuff. The place I ordered the mats from was the same price but shipping was cheaper and they give you a free can of hydro-turf cement. Is the DAP stuff better?

I did the same thing, but the can came in and was a tiny can with the hydroturf label, I swear it was smaller than a pint can......the DAP, from Walmart is a quart, and later you will need more than that little can to do touch ups and small edges that didnt get all the glue they needed,

How do you take the back bumper trim and and side molding off?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information