Time to paint the hull.....Help!

Alright, I've got most of the stock decals off and I am hoping to paint within the next 2 or 3 weeks. I have never painted anything like this before. As far as the plastic and the bumpers go, I did a couple of tests with some Krylon spray paints for plastic. It seems to work really good. But as far as the fiberglass goes, I don't know where to start. I am obviously gonna clean off all the decal residue and then clean the entire hull with what???, paint thinner? I plan on spraying it myself, I have a gun for auto paint.
    If anyone could lead me in the right direction as far as what type of primer, paint, etc, I would appreciate it. Thanks again guys.
    Aaron

+1
    We just dropped our hurricane hull off at the body shop today.

We were instructed to prep sand with 220 grit. The guy is first "sealing" the ski, how or what he uses to do so is beyond me.

We cleaned the ski with acetone after sanding, and I know he will be using polyurethane base paint. he said he holds up the best.

Just thought i'd share what little info i know that is being done to our project.

Sealer is like primer, but sealer seals the hull. Where as primer will asorb water. Soo if you are doing work on a car and just put primer without painting in then the primer will hold mositure aginst the metal. After six months you are scratching your head wondering why it is rusting.

+1
    You first need to determine if the hull is painted or if it is gel coated. If gel coated, you need to sand everything to get the gel coat off then you can paint or re-gel coat. If it's paint, then you can just sand to make the surface rough before you start the primer coat.

+1
    We are getting paint laid over gelcoat. I wondered about that, but our paint guy said he's done it many times and it will be fine. Once again, I know nothing about it, but our guy has done tons of boats ski's and totally trust his decision.

We will see

+1
    He'll probably get it to work but how durable and how long will it really last?...only time will tell...you'll have to give us an update in a couple years from now and let us know how it's standing up. Anyway, why are people so against taking the time to do something the real correct way? I know it would take him more time and would cost a little more so I'm sure to stay competitive price wise a short cut is taken...which I can understand, but really, how much more sanding time would it really take? I've had two watercraft which I completely refinshed the hulls and gel coated them...not a big ordeal to sand it right in my opinion.

I just adapted a radar arch for my boat the existing gel coat took primer paint and clear like a dream! but I have seen cases were the paint just acts like you sprayed it on oil it spiderwebs! I ?guess it all depends Z

Quote Originally Posted by Polaaron View Post
    Alright, I've got most of the stock decals off and I am hoping to paint within the next 2 or 3 weeks. I have never painted anything like this before. As far as the plastic and the bumpers go, I did a couple of tests with some Krylon spray paints for plastic. It seems to work really good. But as far as the fiberglass goes, I don't know where to start. I am obviously gonna clean off all the decal residue and then clean the entire hull with what???, paint thinner? I plan on spraying it myself, I have a gun for auto paint.
    If anyone could lead me in the right direction as far as what type of primer, paint, etc, I would appreciate it. Thanks again guys.
    Aaron
    For what its worth, I have about 10 autobody/paint expierence and although I have never painted a boat I can't imagine that it would be much different then painting a fiberglass car panel. As far as cleaning, (after you have removed all of the decal residue) First start with car soap and water. Alot of people skip this step, but there are substances (such as tree sap) that are water soluble but not solvent soluble. Then get a good grease and wax remover from your local automotive paint or auto parts store. Rub this (fairly wet) on with one clean rag and off with another clean rag. Some people use paint thiners but I would not recomend this. They can soak into any open fiberglass and evaporate out later causing problems.

Sanding is very important. paint does not like to stick to shiny surfaces so make sure that the intire hull is dull. I would probably sand with 400 grit. Clean with the grease and wax cleaner after sanding. If the hull is in good shape (no deep scratches or chips) you might not need to prime it. If you do use primer stay with a two part urethane (stay away from Lacquer) and sand between coats with 400 grit and sand the final coat with 600 grit. If you want to use a sealer make sure to stay with urethane. Use the grease and wax remover between the primer/sealer and paint.

What paint and primer you will want to use will differ by brand. Once you chose a brand PPG Dupont or Sherwin-Williams ect. use their complete system. They should be able to show you all of the options as far as primers sealers and flex additives. MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS FOR MIXING AND APPLICATION. A good paint or automotive store should be able to supply you with good literature to help you choose.

I would try to stay with a urethane based system probably a single stage urethane. this will provide the best flexability and chip resistance. Stay away from lacquer and enamel based paints and primers. Also keep in mind that even the best automotive paints will scatch and chip easier than the gell coat if you beach it. Hope this helps

Thread Information