Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Kawi 310 Modding

Hi guys, I have been offered the possibility of racing a310 for next year. I race close course and slalom course, with some wave jumpingin the off season. To be transparent, I am a See Doo lover, know the ski, put alot of tuning and hours on it and I am pretty happy with the way it handles(mods in sig). However, the old RXPX hull design has a lot of limitations onchop conditions, so I need to upgrade. I do not wish to start a debateregarding which ski is better. I think the new RXPX and the 310 are both goodskis and potential options. Just want to know a little bit more about the Kawi,before I decide if I switch for next year. So to learn about the good and bad wouldbe great. I like to mod, so will the current parts available for a 300 fit a310? Does the Kawi gain that much potential when modded (within reason andbudget). The mods I made to the sea doo increased performance significantly. It’sa totally different bike. What about reliability, stock and modded? Any inputis highly appreciated. Best regards.

+1
    The 310R will probably handle rough water better. Not sure how much better the p-x is than the T-X, but I beat a rxtx in some pretty rough water with my 300x in a drag race, but both skis are stock. Not sure about mod capability of the 310R. It will have a better hole shot than most modded skis because of the roots supercharger. They are both great high performance skis, so you can't go wrong with either one.
    Good luck.

+1
    are they roots blowers though I thought they were screw blowers?

Quote Originally Posted by dw_1 View Post
    are they roots blowers though I thought they were screw blowers?
    The Kawi uses the same Eaton supercharger found on the Vette ZR1 and CTS V. Here is some Kawasaki sourced info:

EATON TWIN VORTICES SERIES (TVS) ROOTS-TYPE SUPERCHARGER
    • Four-lobe design offers significant performance increase over standard roots-type unit
    • System force-feeds the engine over two liters of air with every revolution, providing a stable supply of high-pressure intake air at all rpm
    • Planetary gearing increases supercharger speed by a factor of 2 for better response
    • Delivers compressed air continuously, not in waves, for smoother power delivery
    • Produces large amounts of boost even at low rpm for instant and powerful acceleration right off of idle
    • Provides a very flat and meaty torque curve with step-free power across the entire rev range without any of the lag associated with turbochargers
    • Produces more low-rpm boost than competitive or aftermarket systems, with a maximum of 17 psi of boost pressure
    • Two different air bypass valves are used to prevent over boosting at low and medium rpm

Here is ZR1 specific info:
    The ZR1 uses a Roots-type supercharger, which has four lobes that lock together like gears. Most superchargers have only three lobes. The lobes on the ZR1's supercharger also rotate 160 degrees -- lobes in most superchargers rotate only 60 degrees. The four-lobe design and extra rotation increases thermal efficiency and has nearly the same power efficiency as a turbocharger. With every rotation, the ZR1's blower forces 2.3 liters of pressurized air into the engine.

+1
    My understanding on the 300/310 X are pretty well maxed out on the performance side from the factory(67-68MPH). You can hit 72-74 and that is pretty much it, but you can do that for next to nothing. It takes a lot of money and time to get much more out of it.

RXP-X T3 hulls drag a little more then the s3 hull so people are having a much harder time breaking 80 and spending a lot more to try. You can hit about 74-76ish on about 1.5-2K budget or so. It's the handling that people love on the RXP-X.

If your leaning Seadoo I might wait to see what 2015 has in store. Both Yamaha and Kaw. upped there HP for 2014 while Seadoo was doing the Spark. Won't surprise me one bit if you see Seadoo release a 300HP version of the current motor. Won't take much to tweak the current motor and keep reliability up there.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by skylolow View Post
    My understanding on the 300/310 X are pretty well maxed out on the performance side from the factory(67-68MPH). You can hit 72-74 and that is pretty much it, but you can do that for next to nothing. It takes a lot of money and time to get much more out of it.

RXP-X T3 hulls drag a little more then the s3 hull so people are having a much harder time breaking 80 and spending a lot more to try. You can hit about 74-76ish on about 1.5-2K budget or so. It's the handling that people love on the RXP-X.

If your leaning Seadoo I might wait to see what 2015 has in store. Both Yamaha and Kaw. upped there HP for 2014 while Seadoo was doing the Spark. Won't surprise me one bit if you see Seadoo release a 300HP version of the current motor. Won't take much to tweak the current motor and keep reliability up there.
    Not even close to being maxed out.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post

Sean
    I agree. It is souped up from the factory, but not close to maxed out. You might not be able to buy a stage 4 kit for it and call it a day, but there are plenty of air mods you can do to get it faster.

I created a thread about modding my 300x and I thought bolt ons would be the way to go. But a reflash will help a lot and so will air mods And a SCOM. The reason it goes 67 is because they are speed limited out of the factory. You can get them going much faster than 74 easily.

+1
    t
    Quote Originally Posted by DH300 View Post

Sean
    I agree. It is souped up from the factory, but not close to maxed out. You might not be able to buy a stage 4 kit for it and call it a day, but there are plenty of air mods you can do to get it faster.
    I created a thread about modding my 300x and I thought bolt ons would be the way to go. But a reflash will help a lot and so will air mods And a SCOM. The reason it goes 67 is because they are speed limited out of the factory. You can get them going much faster than 74 easily.
    While air mods are great for the ski creating a better combustion
    burn its the cooler crisp air in the hull that gives you better results not amount
    of air since the AFR is set..but with that being said any air mod is not gonna give you more than .05-1 mph if your lucky but a quicker and better throttle response will be improved...might see 100rpms ..

I find humidity makes a difference of 1.5 -2 mph 300 rpms with dryer low humidity @ 30-50 %

+1
    [QUOTE=DH300 You can get them going much faster than 74 easily.[/QUOTE]

Really?..enquiring minds would like to know

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    t
    Quote Originally Posted by DH300 View Post

Sean
    While air mods are great for the ski creating a better combustion
    burn its the cooler crisp air in the hull that gives you better results not amount
    of air since the AFR is set..but with that being said any air mod is not gonna give you more than .05-1 mph if your lucky but a quicker and better throttle response will be improved...might see 100rpms ..

I find humidity makes a difference of 1.5 -2 mph 300 rpms with dryer low humidity @ 30-50 %

Not quite, the stock ecu has no way of knowing the afr so it doesnt adjust around it like a car. All the "free" mods everyone does allow more air into the hull which means the motor is able to use the air better and its not sucking it in. try putting your hand over the air inlets on the hull at the rear at WOT, there is suction. In effect the supercharger has to pull air in before it can pressurize it. This in turn actually ups the effective boost. It also adds cooler air in so you are correct in that regard but its also down to a higher volume. Basically the more air you add to the hull the more air going into the motor. I will not say anything but I know of several skis running 76-78 in stock class race trim.

Sean

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information