2 degree pump wedge mounted upside down...its doable...see video

here a while back i posted about the 2 degree pump wedge results on a vxs and there was some interest and even some humor about putting it on upside down...well i got to looking at it and yes it can be done...the stock nozzle on vxs is 5 degree up from what i understand...with the 2 degree up added to it i was gps at 70 in glass with stock plate and intake grate...also from what i understand is that bow up attitude promotes speed on glass while bow down on this hull will make it a lil more tolerable in chop...i saw somewhere that an aftermarket 3 degree up nozzle can be bought for about 200 bucks...so heres what i did to make my own 3 degree up...i simply turned the 2 degree pump wedge upside down and backwards,drilled and tapped for a 8/32 stainless screw to keep it held in position and made holes to allow for mounting bolts to go through...everything mates up good and when installed either way it is impossible for it to move...so,yup the jokes on me as it is possible to mount one upside down...i now have the option of the stock 5 degree up or 7 degree up or 3 degree up...after i get the skat prop here and mounted i will test it in the 3 degree up and see what it does in chop and how much speed is scrubbed due to more hull in the water...also while ive got the back end of ski tore out i noticed that on the inside top part of the transom plate that it had a lil bit of a step hanging down in pump tunnel area......so, i took off transom plate and while i was at it i filled in the void at the top with epoxy and then very carefully with grinder and dremmel i smoothed down that step...its now a nice steady gradual slope and should let the water flow through without any resistance or cavitation...i then remounted with 5200 and trued it up as well because the factory had it a lil cockeyed according to the allignment marks on hull...it is now nice and level and even with the rear of the intake grate...anyways that was todays project and here is a short video of what ive done...if i have overlooked anything that may cause a problem please feel free to help me out...tommorrows project will be installing a second battery with a dual battery selector switch...gotta have enough juice for the stereo system that will be coming along soon....will post pics as well...hoping to get finished wrenching and ride this thing while the weather is still nice...haaaa

+1
    How did this work out for you? I am thinking to do something similar on my FZR.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    How did this work out for you? I am thinking to do something similar on my FZR.
    If you start getting some good results, post them up as I'm trying to get as much info before I buy mine to test

+1
    I like running a 3 degree nozzle on my skis also. The reversed wedge is one way to do it, but you will certainly achieve best results pushing water directly thru a true 3 degree nozzle.
    Also, spacing the nozzle rearward with a wedge is not the best for performance.... for the same reason the Lucky 13 pump cone works so well... it "loads the bowl" by pushing the cone deeper into the nozzle.

You guys can get a true 3 degree nozzle with 87mm exit diameter right here in the forums store. This is an OEM nozzle and has all reverse bucket provisions.
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=2454

+1
    It's about the sand price brand new so I would rather have a true match

6. +1 by:

havent had a chance to get it on the water yet...work,work,work and then got the flu from which im still recovering from...will post results when i can...if less than desirable then may throw some of my beer money at jerry for a true straight shot nozzle ...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    I like running a 3 degree nozzle on my skis also. The reversed wedge is one way to do it, but you will certainly achieve best results pushing water directly thru a true 3 degree nozzle.
    Also, spacing the nozzle rearward with a wedge is not the best for performance.... for the same reason the Lucky 13 pump cone works so well... it "loads the bowl" by pushing the cone deeper into the nozzle.

You guys can get a true 3 degree nozzle with 87mm exit diameter right here in the forums store. This is an OEM nozzle and has all reverse bucket provisions.
    Does it matter if you have a 3* or 5* nozzle with the L13 cone? I'm assuming the cone will work with both.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZ71LM7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post

Does it matter if you have a 3* or 5* nozzle with the L13 cone? I'm assuming the cone will work with both.
    the Lucky 13 cone is angled at 3 degrees, but it works very good with 5 degree nozzles also

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool69 View Post
    havent had a chance to get it on the water yet...work,work,work and then got the flu from which im still recovering from...will post results when i can...if less than desirable then may throw some of my beer money at jerry for a true straight shot nozzle ...
    feeling better and got out on water today....the upside down wedge did give a better ride through small chop but i dropped some top end speed too...not enough to even mention though....as far as the holeshot,i cant honestly say as i was trying a different prop and got alot of prop spin out of the hole...just wouldnt grab solidly and hold on...saw rpms of 7900ish-8035 per tiny tach....i really think that going with the 3 degree nozzle would be better as jerry explained it is a TRUE 3 degree and not an opposing degree set up like the upside down wedge....it was worth a try though....

+1
    feeling better and got out on water today....the upside down wedge did give a better ride through small chop but i dropped some top end speed too...not enough to even mention though....as far as the holeshot,i cant honestly say as i was trying a different prop and got alot of prop spin out of the hole...just wouldnt grab solidly and hold on...saw rpms of 7900ish-8035 per tiny tach....i really think that going with the 3 degree nozzle would be better as jerry explained it is a TRUE 3 degree and not an opposing degree set up like the upside down wedge....it was worth a try though....
    Thanks for the update. I plan to do some back to back tests with a 5* and 3* nozzle. I'll let ya know how it works out.

Thread Information