+1

Frozen Bolts on Venturi

I need some help getting this pump off. The 4 bolts in the attached pic will not move. I tried a 2 ft breaker bar and could only get them to turn maybe 1 rotation. I tried praying with pb blaster with no luck. I have come to the conclusion that this boat was used in salt water although the p.o. said it wasn't. I'm stumped
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131013_165751.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	316195  
    Last edited by Pwgsx; 10-14-2013 at 03:02 PM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    that's a Seadoo boat pump isn't it?

heat/impact and more pb blaster is the only way. You break one of those off or strip the head and you are going top be really really really sorry..so patience is key.

One of the reasons I stopped working on most Seadoo boats around here is that most of them spend lots of time in the water and I've dealt with these pumps more times then I want to. I can't stay in business screwing around with a pump for an entire day when it's booking me two hours labor tops. Not to mention I was always throwing my back out drawling around in the engine bay.

Now I do keys only and if somebody comes to me with a pump issue, I give em a price that often scares them..but after I explain that the issues require way more time then one would think to get bolts out, I compare it to cutting a diamond..make a mistake..something happens..and it's a huge loss. Only one or two people walked away. Of course if the bolt spins right out, they get charged the usual rate.

The issue here is that the penetrating oil takes a long time to works it's way behind those allen bolts so go heat the whole affair up with a pinpoint torch..dump a can of pb blaster in there..wait a half hour//beat on the eend of a sacrificial extension with the correct size allen key in it and a five pound sledge..a couple of good shots..then..heat it some more and then wait till the next day..A little back and forth on the bolts is a good strategy.

they should come out. If you get impatient..there will be a whole other set of tough bolts to get out..and then the cost to repair the problem.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Well I can tell you before I even started the bottom right is already stripped out. Not sure what I can do to that one. If I drill the heads off, would the grate support not come off? I would then be stuck with a bolt stud and however it attaches to the back of the pump right with the square nut ??? I have to pull the pump out bc I am changing the wear rings. This sucks!!!!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    get a large screw extractor to deal with the stripped out allen head bolt..deal with that one last. There is not a whole lot of room in there and say you managed to break off all 4 heads..the studs aren't going to be much easier to get out..even with a good bolt extractor/stud extractor tool

accept the fact that you are up the creek and a storm is coming in.

as I said before..patience is key with dealing with theses..if you grind off all the heads, you may still end up replacing the pump bpdy or have to deal with the luch more difficult task of drilling out the stainless bolt remnants.. You _might_ have better luck by applying PB directly to the bolt remnants

need more heat?..a MAP type torch gets a bit hotter then your run of the mill propane torch

the bolts are $8 each

be carful working in there with a torch..screw the steering or reverse cable and this job gets real expensive real fast

you might want to try to remove the entire pump assembly by removing the nuts at the base of the pump. I believe it comes off..but be really carful around the steering cable..look at it sideways and the swivel WILL separate..which will ruin it in an instant.

IF you can get the entire shebang off it's going to be easier as you can get gravity on your side with the pump on the bench.

just for reference. This kind of work could run $200+ at my shop.

heat-beat-spray-beat-heat-spray

now it might be possible to change the wear ring with the venture in place..so my next move would be to see if the pump pulls off with all that stuff in place I've never tried it with the venture in place.

Thread Information