+1

Pro 785 took on a lot of water

So my one pro 785 took on some water this past weekend. It's always the end of season curse. Basically the water box tube to the exit of the hull came loose and water came in fast lol thank gosh for my odyssey battery and being somewhat close to shore. Bilge was running for 5 minutes straight. No battery problems. I ended up getting all the water out of the hull, but motor took on water in through the carbs. So I took the plugs out water shot everywhere while cranking....... Piss lol then I took it out of the water. Didn't start it back up. But pulled the carbs off and pulled the oil injection plate off. Figured it was lowest part of the motor. A little water came out.... Awesome. Let it air out a bit. Took the head off. Then tried to turn it over, nothing???? Starter maybe?? Just looking for any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    So now it won't even crank?

Lanyard in place?

The normal approach for a flooded engine is to get it running ASAP. Crank it until most of the water has sprayed out, then try to get it started. Keep re drying the spark plugs until it actually starts, even roughly. Eventually you will get it running on all cylinders. Warm it up as much as you dare on the trailer.

Then back it down the launch ramp and run it some more, with a load on the jet pump. The air flow and internal engine heat will help it dry out. Launch it and ride it if you can, at speed. That is the best method for getting the remaining moisture out.

Then fog it heavily when you get it back on the trailer.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Please follow Keith's advice and get that thing running ASAP, and then take it for a long ride if you can as mentioned.

That's a $1000 crankshaft in that ski!!!

+1
    I know. I realize it!! And it's killing me... I tried bumping it over after it was out of the water and then nothing. It did while in the water without the spark plugs in when I hit the starter. Water out of the plug holes shooting everywhere. Then figured I better take carbs off and get the water out of the bottom of the case. So I took the oil injection plate off.. Water came out. Then took the head off... Looks good. Pistons move freely like they should. But the starter won't turn it over.... It was before. Don't know..... Either starter or something...end of the year curse again. Guess better than beginning of the year curse...

+1
    If you can't start it you need to pull and strip the engine.

Thread Information