Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Question Yamaha VX or SeaDoo GTI

So to all those VX riders out there and any GTI owners browsing.

I've found a 2013 VX Deluxe with Roadmaster trailer for 10k OTD.

I've found a 2013 Seadoo GTI SE 155 with SeaDoo trailer for 11k OTD at a much closer dealership.

Which would you get? I love the reliability and efficency of the VX but love the astetics and neutral feature of the GTI. I think the GTI has the slight speed advantage but only by a few MPH and IMO the exhaust note is better. Just stuck on which I should pick up.

+1
    I've been dealing with the Morgan City dealership lately. I just called Dusty to see what he had and here it is: 2013 VX in Carbon Grey on a Triton aluminum trailer for $10,000 beforeTT&L, not OTD. He said there's no way he can compete if that price is truly OTD including taxes, title, and license. But if you can get a real invoice from them showing that they are going to give it to you OTD for that price, he might be able to do something. I put all that emphasis on Triton and aluminum because when I was looking, the GreenHulk forum refused to let me join unless that's the trailer I would get. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating. But the guys here say it's the best.

They don't have any SeaDoos left. But my concern about your deal is that it may be the "iCatch" trailer. They are prone to failure and dumping your SeaDoo unceremoniously onto the pavement. So I'm concerned that the extra $1,000 is for the fancy trailer--which is a good screwing--and you'll be screwed again when your boat discovers that it doesn't like asphalt. Double screwing! However, I don't know anything about their new MOVE trailer. It could be a whole different story, but if it's the iCatch then you need a different deal on the SeaDoo with a different trailer.

There are some mechanical differences. For instance, the SeaDoo has "closed loop" cooling. The SeaDoo guys love this and will scream its virtues from the mountain tops--or the boat ramp at least--while the Yamaha guys refer to it as a gimmick. It's one of those things that is polarizing and will be up to you to decide if it's worth it to you. The exhaust note can be explained by the Yamaha being a 4 cylinder and the SeaDoo a 3 cylinder. I'm sure there are other contributing factors to the sound, but that's probably the most significant.

I loooooooooooove the way the SeaDoo looks! Especially their models with the "Sunburst" orange details. To me, they look fantastic. I find all of the SeaDoos to look better than the Yamahas. Well, maybe not the 2014 FZR witht he matching HydroTurf. But overall, SeaDoo just looks better.

I researched this on here before buying mine. Had I not done any research, I'm pretty sure I'd be on a SeaDoo right now. But after all of the input from the guys on here, I ended up Yamaha mostly due to the reliability that I would need, especially while crossing the Atlantic Ocean to get to Bimini. If you're not gonna do stuff like that, it makes your decision that much harder.

BUTTTTTTTTTT! I just re-read your post and see that it's the 155 SeaDoo. That makes a difference in horsepower. The SE would be comparable to the "Deluxe." The 130 would comparable to the VX. So that kinda helps: If you want looks, speed, power, and closed loop then the SeaDoo. If it's reliability and fuel economey, then the Yamaha.

Banned User
    +1
    Ride them first!!!!

Also, SeaDoo has other trailers that are not the I-catch and release type. They sell "standard" model trailers. No advantage or disadvantage there. I believe the I-catch is more like close to 2 grand...so I doubt that's what he's getting.
    Also, even a new Zieman J-1B will set you back $1800!!! How far/much will you be trailering? A good trailer matters. Avoid 12" wheels/tires-those are just too small. 13" is fine.
    Triton are also good trailers....I'm just not fond of the all Aluminum thing. Too bendy for me. I like Galvanized Steel-like my 2 Zieman Trailers. They don't flex much, and give a very good ride.
    They also last forever. I just re-did a 10 year old model, and it looks brand new. It's a J-1B(has the box, fuel can storage, storage box, aluminum diamond plate, and I put fancy wheels and 6-ply tires on). Zieman also makes an S-1. I've had that one since 2008, and it's also a fine trailer.
    They're going to be heavier than the Triton. I don't know the price difference.

But, don't skimp on the trailer. And, avoid anything with 12" tires, and plastic fenders. You want steel fenders-because that's where you are likely to step, getting on/off the boat.

What area of LA are you dealing with? Have you checked Lafayette? NOLA? Alex? Shrev?

I can't emphasize this enough; ride one first!! OR, make sure you can take it back after 1 hour? of use, for a full refund if you don't like it.

You know your budget, and what your priorities are.....so you might wanna spell those out to us a little more clearly. Also, where are you going to ride? Red River? Bayou's? The Gulf??!!

Last....if you can, ride the Spark!!!
    I haven't ridden it yet(should be riding one in about 2 weeks).....but, it's another option, depending on your priorities, that could save you a few grand.

+1
    You sort of asked for some opinions, and I'm sure you will get a ton....

I too was looking at both and settled on the DOO's. The deal breaker for me was all out comfort. If your a bigger man, such as me, the DOO's are more stretched out and have deeper foot wells. More of a relaxed ergonomic layout. I felt as if I was sitting "on" the Yamaha and tight quarters. I sit "in" the Sea Doo and an overall better fit for my size. (6'-1" 270lbs) But again, that's just me.... Then there's the technology. I simply love the iContol's and won't look back....

Best wishes on your choice. Hope you find what you're looking for!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJosh View Post
    So to all those VX riders out there and any GTI owners browsing.

I've found a 2013 VX Deluxe with Roadmaster trailer for 10k OTD.

I've found a 2013 Seadoo GTI SE 155 with SeaDoo trailer for 11k OTD at a much closer dealership.

Which would you get? I love the reliability and efficency of the VX but love the astetics and neutral feature of the GTI. I think the GTI has the slight speed advantage but only by a few MPH and IMO the exhaust note is better. Just stuck on which I should pick up.
    My choice would be the Seadoo, just because of the power difference, the doo will be about 5mph faster than the vx, a closer dealership is a plus too, both are very reliable, I think the seadoo will also have more features.

+1
    My suggestion would be to test ride both them. Look at both and choose which one you prefer. Both are good machines but at the end of the day it's still your wallet, and your ride.

+1
    Appreciate all your input guys. I'm 5'11 about 200lbs. I mainly ride local lakes, specifically lake Austin. my dad has a house boat about a mile south of the I10 Bridge in Henderson Louisiana so the ski would see some swamp riding.

As far as the trailer goes. The price on the GTI was with the standard Seadoo Move trailer, it does come with the 12" wheels but does not have the iCatch system.

The VX Deluxe up in Dallas comes with a Roadmaster trailer with larger 13" tires. Both Skis are within my budget. I think the Yamaha would be fun and easy on the pocket book with both maintenance and fuel but I'm worried that after spending that much and heading out for a ride I might be kicking myself for missing out on a little bit of that power and the bells and whistles offered by the SeaDoo.

Budget isn't the issue as much as arranging storage in this area.

It's funny the Spark got mentioned. The local dealership actually has three that haven't been spoken for yet but none have the IRB and I used to enjoy going cruising with the girlfriend so it was nice to have the bigger more stable ski. Although that Spark would probably blow the others away when it came to wake jumping.

+1
    Dang it! I totally spaced out on the iBR. Okay, the Yamaha will have the Reverse and neutral. But I really also like that the SeaDoo has it mounted on the handle bar. And the actual brake is a nice safety feature.

There are a couple of YouTube vids of the Sparks playing. If you wanna jump, that may be the ticket!

Something else to consider might be the Kawasaki Stx 15f. Not as attractive as the Yamaha or Seadoo but more powerful than either and it can be had for a pretty good deal. I am considering one as my family and friends ski for the lake house as I will not want to share my fx SHO. I have a solid quote otd on a 2013 for $7835 that includes all taxes and fees, fire extinguisher, number kit, cover, winter storage, and full tank of gas. Price does not include a trailer. When I bought my fx SHO in August I got a Triton Elite trailer for $1035 plus tax. Also are there still extended warranty promos on the Seadoo and Yamaha. When I bought mine both companies were offering 3 years. The Kawasaki is only 1 year. Good luck on your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    Dang it! I totally spaced out on the iBR. Okay, the Yamaha will have the Reverse and neutral. But I really also like that the SeaDoo has it mounted on the handle bar. And the actual brake is a nice safety feature.

There are a couple of YouTube vids of the Sparks playing. If you wanna jump, that may be the ticket!
    Besides the brake the GTI has VTS I dont think the VX does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information