Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Winterizing my '93 VXR pro 700

Well, I guess it's that time of the year. What do I need to do to have my ski put away for the next 6 months? Yes, I do keep it garaged. Any recommendations?

+1
    4 main things to worry about:
    1) Water freezes. So you need to drain and shop vac the water out of the hull. Leave the seat off for a while to let it evaporate out (if possible). then get all the water out of the engine, exhaust, and water box. To a certain extent the engine, exhaust and hoses self drain out but water will definitely be trapped in the water box. If you need help with this, search here for ideas on how to get the water out and/or add RV/marine antifreeze.
    2) Fuel degradation and contamination. Fuel doesn't store well over the winter. it degrades and/or water condensation dilutes it. Come spring time, you ski won't start, run right, or the engine will meltdown (2 stroke...lean...etc). So Stabilize the fuel tank and fill it up FULL. Full so there is way less chance of condensation problems. Another method (and my preference) is to EMPTY the tank. That way, come spring time you are filling up with fresh gas. But there is still gas in the carbs that could go bad. Or evaporate and leave deposits/corrosion. So some form of treated gas should be run through the carbs. Either Stabil'd gas or premix gas. Premix gas seems to degrade less and the oil in the fuel keeps the corrosion/deposits away.
    3) Fog the engine so the internals don't rust up. You're trying to get oil on the cylinder walls mostly but spraying down the carbs with the engine running will get oil on the crank and bearings and cylnder walls. Then finish off by spraying directly in the spark plug holes.
    4) disconnect the battery. You can store it in the ski, but some prefer to store it someplace outside of the ski. ie shed, garage shelf, basement, etc

+1
    I always fire mine up and then turn off the fuel switch and run it with full choke 'til it runs out of fuel. I don't like the idea of fuel sitting in my carbs. Then I do exactly as outlined above.

+1
    yeah I forgot to mention I do something similar. after I run the stabilized/premix gas through the carbs, I shut the fuel off while the engine is running so it runs the carbs out of fuel.

I mix up a gallon or two of 15 pr 20 to 1 two stroke, hi test, then add a double dose of stable, run that into the carbs for long enough to fill them, then fog the motor...carbs seem to survive the winter fine, I use the same mix in my boat...

Some good tips here for sure

+1
    running the carbs out of fuel is a BAD idea, you will have a lean condition..... You could cause engine damage. I have had people get a Lean runaway when doing this.

Properly treated fuel will not go bad, and do any damage.

here are main things;

Treat fuel, we now use starton fuel treatment. IMO way better than stabil.
    run engine to get fuel treatment through the system.

your motor is pretty much self draining. I pull the hose on the top of the head, and blow with the compressor ( while engine is running) and blip the throttle at the same time, to get all water out. Blow both into the hose going to the exh manifold, and in the fitting at the top of the head.

spray fogging oil into carb until engine dies.

pull plugs, and fog through plug holes.

grease all cables, drive midshaft, bushings at jet pump, steer post, etc.

pull battery

+1
    Lean runaway is very possible, but lean damage/seize at idle...I doubt it. But I do respect your opinion and I'll probably change my technique next season

+1
    When you start to hear it rev I start pulling the choke and as it revs higher more choke. They always just die out and then they're out of fuel. I could see it happening on a warm engine or with some throttle revving though.

+1
    Still it is "my opinion" it is a bad idea. Why deliberately run your motor lean? even at idle speeds, fuel cools, and it is HARD on a motor without it. Sure, you "may" not seize it or have a runaway, but again I ask why risk piston scoring.

Properly treated fuel will not go bad. I have been doing it this way for 25+ years, and have had NO issues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information