Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2003 fi genesis damaged by attempting to jump start

Thinking about purchasing this 2003 genesis fi .owner had new engine installed ran great 3 trips to lake.took it in to local shop to winterize it and claims they jumped it off a car and burned up emm .would that likely be the problem caused by jumping it off like that or could it be something else?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    jumping off a running vehicle typically kills an emm..that big fat spark when the connect the cables could easily spike the emm.

I'm assuming a no-start...more details needed and likely a tech competent enough to follow the information provided in the sig links for troubleshooting.

call out the local shop..ANYBODY in the ski business should know better.

what are they a bunch of guys that rented a storage unit and threw up a sign?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, if someone connected a 'booster' battery with the polarity reversed that can cause damage.

Needing a boost suggests the battery in the Genesis was no good, otherwise why would it need boosting at end of the season? A good battery doesn't self-discharge in a few weeks.

What are the current symptoms? Does it crank?

Assume the EMM is toast, and the LR-503 module, and the start solenoid (there is a diode inside). Cost to replace all those is maybe $1,000, depending on what deal you can find on a good EMM with matching injectors. Up to you to figure out price to offer.

Note that you still have to do the usual checks for compression, hull damage, corrosion, abuse. You can crank it for the compression check by shorting the solenoid posts, if the Start button is not working (possible LR module failure).

Hopefully the MFI display survived (it has its own fuse).

If you are really lucky all they did was blow some fuses and it just needs a new battery, solenoid and maybe LR module.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Well, if someone connected a 'booster' battery with the polarity reversed that can cause damage.

Needing a boost suggests the battery in the Genesis was no good, otherwise why would it need boosting at end of the season? A good battery doesn't self-discharge in a few weeks.

What are the current symptoms? Does it crank?

Assume the EMM is toast, and the LR-503 module, and the start solenoid (there is a diode inside). Cost to replace all those is maybe $1,000, depending on what deal you can find on a good EMM with matching injectors. Up to you to figure out price to offer.

Note that you still have to do the usual checks for compression, hull damage, corrosion, abuse. You can crank it for the compression check by shorting the solenoid posts, if the Start button is not working (possible LR module failure).

Hopefully the MFI display survived (it has its own fuse).

If you are really lucky all they did was blow some fuses and it just needs a new battery, solenoid and maybe LR module.
    Picked it up today it cranks but no spark .mfi is fine where do I start checking first ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mgm1966 View Post
    Picked it up today it cranks but no spark .mfi is fine

where do I start checking first ?
    Well, this is the primary web link for 'where to start'

Check voltage on the White/Red wire that powers the fuel injectors. Find a place to tap in without unplugging any of the injectors. Black meter probe goes to ground for this check. You want to see something over 20 volts on White/Red when the engine is cranking.

If that voltage is good, bypass the LR-503 module. Details can be found by searching my prior posts

While you are in there, confirm the correct spark plugs are installed.

Check all the fuses (or Reset button circuit breakers, whichever).

Where is the lr 503 located ?my 2001 has an electric box fastened to the right side in front of the engine. This one doesn't it just has two fused links with a couple of fuses in each.where else is there any resets or fuses to check?

+1
    The 2002-2004 Ficht models do not have an electrical box. The modules and such are distributed throughout the wiring harness. I am not sure where the LR-503 might be on the 2003 Genesis.

Places to look; Above the fuel tank, behind the MFI display unit, near the EMM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the 503 looks like a pack of expensive eurotrash cigs

for grins, unplug one injector and see if you get anything. I had one in a couple of years back where after a jump the emm was damaged not enough juice to deal with all three injectors on line.

sorry to be a downer..but my guess is that the emm took a hit..bad but far better then smoking the entire kittenkaboodle with a reversed boost.

you'll find the factory parts diagrams helpful..I use the one at babbits

plenty of discussion on the various Polaris and kawsaki fitch issues.

search can be interesting

Don't have a volt meter handy but did find lr 503 behind mfi bypassed and still no start

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mgm1966 View Post
    Don't have a volt meter handy ...
    A good quality multi-meter is a required tool when working on these fuel injected machines.

Pretty handy to have a good meter for a lot of electrical stuff on the carburetor engines too

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information