Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Virage Troubles

Virage Troubles

I have a 2002 virage 700 twin. I have been chasing a miss for about a year. I appears to be firing on one cylinder about half the time and running fine the other half. One plug is always brown and the other plug is always clean and wet with fuel. I tried reversing the plug wires but it did not run any better.The brown plug was still brown and the clean plug was still clean.

Here is my question: Does the stator have two pick-up coils? If so, if one of these pick-ups were weak and/or breaking down part of the time, could this make one cylinder fire fine and one cylinder only fire part of the time?

In my mind if the problem was the coil or the cdi, the problem should have migrated to the other cylinder when I switched the plug wires... Right????

It is a single carb so it can't be a fuel problem and the compression is 145+ on both cylinders. I also don't belive that is could be a air leak because that would make the cylinder with the leak run lean (not have a wet plug)..... Right????

Is there anything else I could be missing?

Any input would be great. Thanks

+1
    WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!

You have changed the spark plugs and checked for proper gap, correct?
    Do you have the correct NGK plugs in your craft?
    As I recall just swapping the plug wires should make it run like crap or not at all..........anybody know this for sure, I'm drawing a blank...........

I would test the trigger coils when the problem is occuring.
    Have you checked for a loose or bad wire at the stator to electrical box connection?
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 03-15-2007 at 11:08 PM.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

PLUGS

On A Twin You Can Swap Plug Wires,cylinders Are 180 From Each Other.try New Plugs????when The Wires Were Switched Did The Bad Plug Follow With The Wire Or Stay On The Same Cylinder???if It Followed Something In The Ignition If It Stayed On The Same Cylinder Maybe The Reeds On That Cylinder

Thanks for the replies guys.

I changed the plugs 3 different times - no change
    Yes I am using the correct ngk plugs.

The problem stays in the same cylinder even when I switched the plug wires.

I also switched the reeds between cylinders - no change - same plug brown, same plug clean and wet.

I also checked all of the connections and didn't find anything loose.

I know you can check the stator some how but I am not sure how. I don't have a volt/ohm meter.

I bought this ski with a bad motor that I have since replaced with a short block. Therefore, I don't know if it had this probem before or not. One thing that makes me think that there was a problem before is that the glove box was full of old spark plugs.

I don't mind shelling out $225 for a new stator as long I am reasonably sure that is the problem. I have tried to eliminate every thing else. Have I missed anything??

Thanks again

+1
    You can go to the tech section and go to Domestic Electrical, there you will find hints, tips and the procedure for checking the stator.

Does the problem happen when cold or just hot?
    You say you have a new engine, was it built with the old crank?

Runs the same hot or cold.

The motor was a short block exchange from Alantic Powersports. I assume that they used an old crank.

Thanks

+1

700 Engine

We usally do not use a old crank. When did you buy the engine? Please P.M. me your name and a invoice. It sounds like you have something electrical going on there. If you would like please give us a call. 732-920-7669. Where are you located?

Thanks Jay

My bad! The motor came from Alantic Jet Sports NOT Alantic Powersports. I did not realize this until I pulled out my invoice. SORRY for the mis- information.

Anyhow, I agree, I believe that the problem is in the electrical system. I would have to guess that if it was a problem with the rebuild (I do not think that the rebuild is the problem) it would not be a come-and-go problem.

I know that it is hard to troubleshoot a problem over the net. I was only looking for a little reassurance that it sounds like a stator problem before I dumped $200+ on a new one.

+1
    Call Jay he will help you out. They offer 10% off for being a greenhulk member. Tony is the parts guy.

+1
    The reason I asked is the cranks are notorious for going bad and then taking out the stator.
    I'd check the crank index just to make sure all is good.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information