Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FPR into aS S3 hull - how?

I'm planning on fitting the Riva FPR on my 2012 RXT-X 260 aS but not sure quite how I will be able to adjust it?

Once fitted into the black hole that is the fuel tank area, how the hell do I see and adjust it when the top deck is back on?

I don't really want to drag it back towards the 'hot bits' of the engine, feels like a bad mix

At this stage I'm not planning on running a RR set-up, just static rate off a Vtech 8350 tune. I am only fitting it to stabilize the fuel pressure as I am not measuring any AFR's and thought therefore that I stand a better chance of running better average AFR's than with the random 'lottery' generator OEM one!

So 5 Q's -

1 - where could I place it safely in the hull to be able to see and adjust it?

2 - if I fit it straight out of the box (Riva) I've heard is it factory set at 60psi? (how confident would you be on that number?)
    3 - what psi would best match the Vtech 8350 tune? 58? 60? Thinking I could just fit it and forget it
    4 - is there a way to set it with the top deck off?
    5 - I have read the debate over setting the rate at either pump prime (without the engine running) or setting at idle, but these arguments are relating to setting the baseline psi for a RR not a static set-u. Therefore, with no reference vacuum line being used, is it best to follow the Riva method (engine running) or off just with the fuel pump primed without the engine running?

Thoughts? Cheers

+1
    Stock setting from RIVA is 58psi. Pretty sure Jonatan has set all the base maps to start at 58psi. You can adjust fuel maps via software after that as long as you aren't having major issues.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how sure are you that all Riva FPR's come out the box spot on 58 psi with no adjustment needed?

As I won't be able to see the pressure once installed, I am nervous changing the fuel mapping blind as I don't have any AFR data (don't want to get into O2 sensor / logging or map adjustments just yet).

Hoping that I could set a concrete 58psi and leave it at that, afterall I'm only running a mild mods (Vtech 8350, intake arrestor gone, 4" air, Gen3 & solid pipes, FPR, thru hull ex, R&D grate, SRZ 15/21A) - all work in progress. Lots of boxes right now!

+1
    9! But you should verify after install. This would be done regardless of the ski. Looking for psi/leaks etc... You should seriously get an AFR gauge though.

+1
    I mounted mine somewhat where the directions show ill get a pic get the exhaust mani tapped to verify afr its going to b all over the place with weather change. I'm running mine at 66 psi right now for upper 60s

Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1
    There really is no happy place on an iS/aS ski to mount these. Here's mine, but this one's obviously not a Riva and yes the zip ties have it in there pretty good. Duke set it to 58psi a while back and I'm just going to leave it (hence why no pressure or AFR gauge) I do need to ream out a recess in the engine cover since part of it sticks up a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131019_173134_309.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	316662  

+1
    A few of us been mounting our FPR's sideways off of the exhaust manifold.

+1
    Another one

Best to have the motor idling when you set the pressure to 58 PSI. The difference between 58 and is really really fairly insignificant.

It turns out that the injectors will flow 1.71% more fuel at 60 PSI compared to 58 PSI. It takes about 8% more fuel to swing the motor one full AFR.

As a side note, on all of the boosted race motors I tune, I set the fuel pressure to be 3.5 atmosphers (about about 50 PSI) higher than the pressure in the intake at WOT. I always simply use the VE table to dial in the AFR everywhere. You must have consistant fuel pressure at WOT or you will wind up killing the motor sooner or later.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by whittlebeast View Post
    Best to have the motor idling when you set the pressure to 58 PSI. The difference between 58 and is really really fairly insignificant.

It turns out that the injectors will flow 1.71% more fuel at 60 PSI compared to 58 PSI. It takes about 8% more fuel to swing the motor one full AFR.

As a side note, on all of the boosted race motors I tune, I set the fuel pressure to be 3.5 atmosphers (about about 50 PSI) higher than the pressure in the intake at WOT. I always simply use the VE table to dial in the AFR everywhere. You must have consistant fuel pressure at WOT or you will wind up killing the motor sooner or later.

Andy
    A proper, but 'in reality' answer.

We, lesser mortals of the tuning world, are unable to sort the critical info from the BS or not significant info. It makes setting up and mods so hard. Coupled with the sketchy marketing claims of some manufactures and resellers, it's a real minefield.

I thank GH and especially the handful of true tuners like yourself, who help cut through the crap for us newbies - keep it up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information