+1

Angry GP1200R crank bearing removal

I have to remove the outer bearing on the mag side from the crank , the bearing itself can be taken off by hand but i have a little trouble getting the collar off.
    I have heaten the collar but i get any grip on this damn thing to pull it off , anyone an idea how to handle this ?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...TON/parts.html

It's part number 3

That's something I would leave to the crank builder, but having said that I believe you would need a bearing splitter to do the job.

+1
    Tried different kinds of bearing splitters , but you need to wedge the splitter behind the collar to pull it off ,there's no room to wedge because the collar is pressed against the
    contra weight.
    I've went to three different car engine rebuilders and they all have no idea how to clear this job.

Well Im not sure how willing a crank builder would be to tell you their methods, but thats who I would ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Predator-x View Post
    Tried different kinds of bearing splitters , but you need to wedge the splitter behind the collar to pull it off ,there's no room to wedge because the collar is pressed against the
    contra weight.
    I've went to three different car engine rebuilders and they all have no idea how to clear this job.
    ...yep I feel your pain. I searched everywhere in my local area to find someone who could separate numbers 2 & 8, but no luck (ended up buying a new crank). One of few company's here in the states with a good reputation to send cranks out for repair is Crankworks... .

+1
    Yeah Crankworks has a good reputation but shipping a crank to the US for only removing a collar hurts
    Only possible option i can think of is welding two bolts on the collar and pull it of after heating but if that fails i'm ending up with a useless crank.
    So i will reuse the old collar and slide the new bearing on ,seems no other way.

Funny, I had crankworks rebuild a crank for me. They forgot to install the collar.

+1
    They did what ?
    Did they leave the old collar on or just putting the bearing on without collar ?

They sent me my rebuilt crank without a collar on it. They just forgot to install it.

I grinded a flat spot throughout the width of the collar, then hit the end with a steel cold chisle and cracked it. Then it slid rite off

Thread Information