Thread: Cam timing

Cam timing

Does anyone haye a "how to" of the cams timing?? Im doing my cam plugs and marked the cams and chain so i shouldnt have any problem, but just in case.... Im putting the cams back tonight. I couldn find it anywhere with the search function.

+1
    As long as you line up the markings on the cam bridges you will be fine. That or if your marks line up then its in the same place as before. You don't HAVE to put the motor at TDC its just recommend if you mess things up. I did one cam at a time and used a ziptie to hold its location very easy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bscpaint View Post
    As long as you line up the markings on the cam bridges you will be fine. That or if your marks line up then its in the same place as before. You don't HAVE to put the motor at TDC its just recommend if you mess things up. I did one cam at a time and used a ziptie to hold its location very easy
    so you unbolted the cam from the sprocket while the sprocket was zip tied to the chain?

I will two 4 total marks just like this. Two for cam timing. And the other on the chain and the top of the head, that way if it falls down on accident and slips a tooth, you can see and correct ti very quickly.

+1
    Ok so than you removed the cam and sprocket together? How did you keep tension on the chain?

+1
    set no.1 cyl. to top dead centre, cams have a dimple on them at cyl. 2 and 3 depending on which cam there is a mark on the rear of the cam bridge which thee dimpless line up with, remove the tensioner, you will have to compress the tensioner to refit i used a pair of mole grips to hold the end of it while compressing it, you have to rotate the piston on it at the same time as you push it in, line it all up and refit, rotate the engine 2 rotations and check it all still lines up.

Thread Information