Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

So what's the deal with open loop cooling?

Im planning on running open loop on my turbo build. But I also like the idea of running a heat exchanger.

Doing one or the other to run a open loop ride plate. What do I need to know?

Anyone ever toast a motor with open loop? Anyone ever plug a heat exchanger?
    Do you run a strainer? Anyone fill the block with sand on open loop?
    Lets hear your thoughts.

Also I run only fresh water so salt is not a issue for me.

+1
    Ever hear of thermo shock????Let me see if i can find the thread that was started about this..Here in Chicago we found some interesting things that happened to the piston skirts when running the open loop...BUT now with the Riva Thermo and different water routing it may not be as big of issue,BUT i will still see if i can find the threads for ya so you can judge for yourself..

+1
    I would never run open loop in cold climates unless its strictly a race ski. Both my conversions run heat-x never a problem and no strainer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    I would never run open loop in cold climates unless its strictly a race ski. Both my conversions run heat-x never a problem and no strainer.
    like how cold water temp? Damn I'm glad I live in FL. My riva Open loop runs at 165-170 all the time...thing of beauty. I have a strainer...but I'm good about not riding in weeds and sand. Nice thing is now you can run a Jim's modified ride plate...if you so choose. I'm anxiously awaiting mine to come back from the painter. Other than that not sure how much benefit you'll get unless you are on long WOT runs. Might just get away with a thermostat. That being said now that your in there...not going to be fun to tear all that stuff out to do it later.

Open loop install was by far the biggest PIA for me. I hope you have long arms, or are small enough to get inside your ski. You have to get to the very back of the ski on both sides to do the install. At one point I got a bad cramp in my back and almost got stuck in there. Riva directions are real good but the routing is left up to you. The block off plate is all billet, very nice as well as the temp regulator. It's a quality kit. Double check all your clamps when done...lol.

+1
    I run riva open loop kit in canada .... Runs great after I fixed and delt with rivas thermostats sticking !!!!!!!!!!!!

7. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Go with an HX setup and a lower temp thermostat...motor will not know the difference between the HX or the ride plate, which is basically, a different style HX...

Staying closed loop cooling will allow the motor to never have cooling spikes, run just like normal, block temps will be uniform, clearance tolerances will stay the same, oil temp will be the same......etc, etc.........

Like Sno said, us northern guys have different water conditions than the southern guys...

+1
    Aaaah the heat exchanger mafia to the rescue..... Lol!

The Riva open loop cooling kit now comes with a thermostat. Cold water is a non issue!

For a turbo open loop is the only way to go!!!!

+1
    Water temp is probably still 60 ish here. Its 37 out today. And it was snowing this morning. Not sticking to the ground but it was snowing.

I never heard of the termo shock in a ski motor but I do have a riva t stat with the parts I bought from another member.

Im going to have the motor out this winter so adding open loop or a x changer should be cake.

Say for example the screen in the pump plugs up and I dont notice it until the exhaust alarm goes off. Dose the motor have water in it or dose it drain and cook the motor?

11. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbullet View Post
    I run riva open loop kit in canada .... Runs great after I fixed and delt with rivas thermostats sticking !!!!!!!!!!!!
    What did you have to do to get the t stat fixed?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information