Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Getting a new PWC coming May 2006, need advice!

Because I'm graduating college coming this May, I would like to treat myself to a personal watercraft. Right now I'm torn between the RXP and the Yamaha GP1300R. I know most of you will tell me that the RXP is the fastest rig on the water, but I'm looking for an all around package of speed, handling, and a hole shot.

Is there anything that can be done to the RXP that makes it hold onto the water a little better? I hear from the reviews that it is "like an old muscle car" being that it gets out of the hole well with a high top speed, but is somewhat lacking once you throw in some tight turns.

Edit: Are the magazines just BS'ing about the RXP's handling? I know there is a lot of hate towards Sea Doo's just because there are so many of them on the water...

+1
    Hey rocket,I have two RXP'S and love them.Right out the hole it is the shit and on one I have the riva intake grate which holes it to the water very well.The RXP rides very well in the choppy water, but the RXT is the best in choppy water.Go with the RXP!

+1
    Rocket, just by removing OPAS, installing sponsons and a Riva grate will dramatically improve the handling of your RXP.

Nothing stock will touch it out of the hole, or on top speed.

Congrats on graduating college!

Right now I'm slightly swayed towards the RXP. After I graduate, I'm going to be living in Myrtle Beach and mostly be taking my ski out on the intracoastal waterway, and the rivers that lead into it, so choppy riding won't be an issue with the exception of the occaisional ride out into the ocean.

Right now I'm currently riding my family's Yamaha VX110, which is nice, but it really lacks in speed and just feels really tame (55 mph according to the speedo). I rode a friend's GP1300R and I just can't get enough of it, but I hear the RXP is even better in terms of overall speed and acceleration.

Are there any places in the Columbia or Myrtle Beach area that allows you to test drive skis?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk
    Rocket, just by removing OPAS, installing sponsons and a Riva grate will dramatically improve the handling of your RXP.

Nothing stock will touch it out of the hole, or on top speed.

Congrats on graduating college!
    OPAS? Sorry, I'm not really very knowledgeable on jetski modification.

Thanks for the help though!

+1
    OPAS stands for Off Powered Assisted Steering. They are those little fins (training wheels) at the back of the ski.

+1
    Yes,forgot about the OPAS I don't have on my anymore.There's alot of easy mod's for the RXP.but out the box the RXP has the most horse power than any.When doing sharp turns you will not lose any horse power,and at top speed it is very stable.

+1
    Rocket, I ride my RXP in the intercoastal 90% of the time and go in the ocean just for wave jumping. The best part about the RXP is, the 4 stroke engine will last much longer than a 2 stroke engine will, as the 4-stroke motor runs antifreeze for cooling, not salt water. (if in ocean/intercoastal water) much less corrosion of vital engine parts.

hope this helps Jason

How fast will the stock RXP go on flat water? And I'm talking like glass here, the intracoastal waterway along the Grand Strand has absolutely positively zero waves whatsoever.

+1
    Ok rocket,one of my RXP's will do 68 stock and the other one will do 70 plus with intake grate and no OPAS on it.That's very fast for stock.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information