Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

My Shaft is stuck- Help!!!

I am having problems removing my shafts . One is stuck inside the impeller and wont pull out. It has about a 1/4 inch play but hits a point and just stops. I tried lube and it is very rusty. The other is stuck inside the boat on the bearing. I am trying to keep the bearing connected and not remove it. Any tricks to removing these? The hat had to be cut off and c clip is removed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131024_192736.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	317233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131024_173445.jpg 
Views:	901 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	317232  

+1
    Reading the title I was just going to say astroglide. That drive shaft is in a bad way especially looking like that inside the hull. Either you never fog or you're getting water past the carbon seal. The wear ring needs to be replaced and the impeller looks physically rough.

Have someone hold onto the shaft and whack the pump with a rubber mallet. you can try to sand down the shaft depending on how the c-clip area looks then hit it with a rust converter/paint. They work extremely well. You might need a new shaft. Looking at everything else you might need a pump rebuild depending on how rough it is

+1
    Try soaking it with "AERO KROIL" or try a little heat on the impeller and shock it with a brass punch.

4. +1 by:

+1
    This is a boat that I just purchased so none of this is from me. I take care of my toys! I am going to replace the shafts, wear rings, carbon seals and the whole 9 yards. I pilled the pump cone off and the inside looks ok and no water. I was going to send the impellers to Impros but don't know what service I should get done on them. They look rough but don't have any rock nicks at all. I may just chunk the one that's stuck in the impeller but how do you remove the shaft from the one stuck in the boat?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    OUCH!

get out the die grinder..I wouldn't even take my spreader out of the toolbox with a shaft that looks like that

+1
    Yea I cut the hats off and pulled one shaft out but its stuck in the impeller and the other pump is off the shaft but stuck in the motor. Tricks to get my shafts free?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    pb blaster galore..rattle it with an air chisel ( carful)

be prepared to give up the bearing however..it's gotta go.

to save the impeller you are going to have to heat it up quickly and evenly. I'd suggest trying to get the impeller shaft out of the pump too

A good sized ball joint separator can be your pal here..you do neet to cut some plywood to help protect the backside of the prop from damage

Lock it up in a vise and use some channel locks to twist the shaft to help the penetrant do it's bit

Likely the corrosion is awesome. That's why I charge +$60 to work on saltwater skis.

Glad I'm not dealing with that one

+1
    Wow.
    That some nasty stuff there

+1
    I should be able to remove the impeller from the pump using the shaft as the impeller tool since im replacing it anyways. Hopefully that will break free at least. Im guessing there is some corrosion on shaft where it meets the bearing and that is holding it in. If I remove the clamp holding the bearing on, can I use a worm type clamp or do I need to get that special oetiker clamp?

+1
    Wow, that's about as bad as its gets ... I would look into shit-can those shafts/impeller and put a search out for some good 2nd-hand replacements ... I know a little more $$, but the save on grief & head ach will well be worth it! I bet if you start your search some one has some scrapped boats with the parts you will need .... good luck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information