Where does rectifier go w/air intake mod?

I've read where it is simply relocated, but doesn't it have to be kept cool? I'd appreciate any input from someone that has done this with the 155hp Sportster/Speedster in particular, although I'm sure the procedure would be the same with any of the 4tecs.

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar

Rectifier Mounting Location?

Yes Sea Doo mounted it originaly on top of the air box to keep it High and dry.
    They also put it in the stream of air in hopes it would help cool the metal fins of the rectifier. Another member on this forum mounted his with-out it being in a stream of air and he has over 50 hours on his engine with it in that location with no problems of the rectifier overheating even on realy hot days. Just make sure you mount it up high away from any water from the bilge area and also mount it in a cool location away from the motor and youl be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by holdnon72 View Post
    Yes Sea Doo mounted it originaly on top of the air box to keep it High and dry.
    They also put it in the stream of air in hopes it would help cool the metal fins of the rectifier. Another member on this forum mounted his with-out it being in a stream of air and he has over 50 hours on his engine with it in that location with no problems of the rectifier overheating even on realy hot days. Just make sure you mount it up high away from any water from the bilge area and also mount it in a cool location away from the motor and youl be fine.
    I'm a little concerned about the temperature in the Florida heat. I think I may construct an intake tube from pcv and mount the rectifier in the pipe. Or, I was thinking about running the blower hose to the stock air box for airflow to the rectifier. I want to be able to return the air intake system to stock without tipping off the dealer techs, should I need any warranty service.

I put my 4" intake on Thursday night (but haven't really been able to try it out because of the weather here in FL). I haven't touched the rectifier yet, but I do plan on moving it. There are two vents on either side of the engine bay were cold air moves in, one is the bilge blower, but the other one is high, dry, and cool. I plan relocating it somewhere in that area.

-Scott

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    I put my 4" intake on Thursday night (but haven't really been able to try it out because of the weather here in FL). I haven't touched the rectifier yet, but I do plan on moving it. There are two vents on either side of the engine bay were cold air moves in, one is the bilge blower, but the other one is high, dry, and cool. I plan relocating it somewhere in that area.

-Scott
    This is good weather to try out your seamanship skills, 15+ knot winds and six footers will get your adrenalin pumping, plus you'll learn good throttle control. Anyway when you do get out on the water I'd be interested in some feedback on how the setup works.

Thread Information