Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rxp rescue...

Banned User
    +1

Rxp rescue...

I had recent project come through my garage...I'll post pics for now, let you guys do some detective work....The things I uncovered were AMAZING

Just some starter info...Boat was sold as a "Special Edition" 2004 RXP......by a forum member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4610.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	317466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4611.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	317467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4612.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	317468Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4617.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	317469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4620.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	317470

Banned User
    +1
    ...more pics.

Name:	IMG_4621.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	317471Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4623.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	317472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4624.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	317473

+1
    Project??Holy fucking disaster..."Special edition"??? Special is putting it lightly........lol

Banned User
    +1
    Some observations before touching it...

Title/VIN says 2004...hull is a Red 2005. Lots of sun fading on the sides...

Motor is 2004...Oil separator is 2003...

Exhaust is partially 08+...(waterbox not bolted down). Was told it was gutted (its not)...Coupler is off a Semi...so are all the clamps....

Steering is from an X, probably 2008...Most likely a TX, because the steering cable snakes back and forth because its too long...

SC is labeled as an X, and it has the specs of an X...Its an EARLY X, because it does not have the 4 mountin boss's on the front housing...Look at the Blue tape on the front of it, read it, then look at the washers...

Hood from an RX, so is the (one plastic rivot holding them) side trim....but the handle is from 05...

The Air Intake hose is from....dunno, but the filter is an R&D that had a metal pipe that attached above the SC, to the cowel bolts...

IC is an ebay job, not even bolted down...one of the pipes is a Riva, the other is.....WOW, the pipe fro the R&D intake....cut and flipped.....All couplers are from Autozone, Spectre...

Exhaust pipe, looks like an early Rotax unit...

The Groco filter.....flowing the wrong way.

Multiple water lines, T's (came from X)...

The pump....Look a the pic, whats MISSING????.....Wear ring slid right out, not touching prop or sides...

And thats just the PHYSICAL stuff.......wait till I tell you how it was running, how long a dealership had it to try to get it running, and what I did to actually get it running....

Name:	IMG_4626.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	317477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4627.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	317478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4628.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	317479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4629.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	317480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4631.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	317481

Banned User
    +1
    ...more pics.

Name:	IMG_4632.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	317483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4635.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	317484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4636.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	317485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4785.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	317486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4787.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	317487

+1
    That's quite the project you got it's probably easier to list what is not messed up !

+1
    things that make you go hmmmmmmmm

+1
    That looks like a chop shop special...

Banned User
    +1
    Owner takes it, runs it for 10 seconds on the water, it stops running...He tries to get seller to fix it, he gives him the run around...A little history on it....http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197957

Ski comes to me just before Father's day.... I can't get it to idle...Have to crack throttle open about 50% for it to run...After troubleshooting, I narrow it down to the ECU. The ski dies when the throttle is left alone, makes me think that when it was installed (its a Rotax unit), they did not let the throttle stay closed, so it did not register ZERO as the real ZERO. because once it comes just off what ZERO should be, it perks up and runs around 3000-4000...

I have him take it up to a local known dealership...They plug it in, find its not communicating. The ECU is bad. Owner gets a new one off Ebay from our good friends at Torx (only choice, he took a chance)...Its basically a copy of the Riva ECU.....ANYWAY, he also picks up some new injectors. The injectors in the ski were some wacky early Rotax ones......Get it to the dealership, they get it to communicate, fire up...but after 6-7 seconds, it still dies.

Dealer says they tried everything, all sensors are good, no codes. They point finger to bad fuel regulator, so I ship one that i had up there...NOTHING, same thing. They said they even pulled the TB and tried it on another boat, and that boat would now do the same things (duh, hello!)....He gets it back, a WEEK AFTER LABOR DAY!!!! Its been there since Father's Day weekend....They charge him $1k for doing nothing, the invoice says LABOR....They could never give him a straight answer...

Ski comes back to me, I look at the pipes...They never had the TB off, all they did was take off the Idle Bypass valve...So I look at it, try to start ski with it off...Thing will not move, its practically frozen...So I head to my toolbox, grab my spare, toss it in, fire it up....ski idles, but is HUNTING for proper idle...Finally dies....I quickly pull the MAP sensor, just so see, since the old Idle Bypass had some nasty oil residue on it....Sure enough, the MAP was caked...HMMMM

I start the ski up, with the MAP plugged in, but not installed on manifold...I fire it up with my finger in the hole, then slowly remove it....Motor is idling fine, and I can control the idle with my index finger ....I head BACK to my toolbox, grab my spare MAP, toss it in....Start, it coughs 2 times.......and then settles to a nice purring idle.......I turn it off, connect the water, start it back up....Let it run for a minute, which is the longest the owner has every heard it run

Major hurdle DONE!

So the ski stays with me, and I tear into it to clean up what is wrong....The owner proceeds to order items for the ski that is needed, has them shipped to the house.....

I removed all the bad things (plumbing, fittings, etc).....Replaced items that were missing, mainly missing bolts from the thermo, intake, etc....I CLEAN the inside, which was nasty...

Exhaust pulled, waterbox gutted properly, and rewelded...

IC pulled, all couplers and clamps taken off....I had a 1/4 plate welded to the one side of the IC, since this unit did not have any mounting tabs...

Removed Intake Manifold, found it caked with oil and dirt. Transferred block off (old thick style, which required an oring) to a new, cleaner intake. I used an Oring from an old 04 IC that I had (you had to use it when installing that style BO)...Plugged the reference line to the crappy boost gauge....OH, removed the boost gauge, it wasn't even bolts down...

Pulled the SC, checked slip...was at 156 in/lbs, and upon inspection of the clutches (both sides), this unit is ready for a rebuild soon...Got slip to be 167, which is good enough to let the motor rev to the 8600 rev limit of the new ECU...

Reinstalled IC with a new SC pipe (reused the old Riva pipe), with all new couplers from silicone intakes...IC got proper water fittings too, and a good brace to hold it in place...

Reinstalled the midpipe and exhaust, with proper clamps, and strapped it down...Also installed a Riva exhaust with thru hull....Plugged old exhaust with plastic plug, found gasket missing...

Clamps on ride plate coolant lines, the OEM ones were barely on...Tosses on some proper clamps...

4" Fizzle Intake, with filter....

The pump....New wear ring...Installed the MISSING RESTRICTOR WASHER....Prop is a 14/19, with info on it saying its 12/20....

New VTS boot and clamps, it only had the boot, which was ripped in 5 places...

Groco reinstalled, with water flow going in the right direction this time...

Little odds and ends cleanup...

Took ski with owner to the water on saturday...Got it going, and she runs like a champ......ONLY ISSUE, is that it pulls like a freight train to 8100 and STOPS...Now normally if the ECU was stock, it would hit 8150 and cut back....This one hits 8100 and stops....I pull the seat, check the wiring, and sure enough, there is no Knock Sensor pigtail. I know the ECU is difference because the timing is more advanced on it than stock, its pulls harder from the hole...were as stock pulls hard once on plane and boost is there....

Other than that, ski is good to go.....
    Last edited by Danny; 10-27-2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: add info...

Banned User
    +1
    ...more pics.

Name:	IMG_4877.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	317489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4878.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	317490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4880.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	317491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4881.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	317492

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information