85 miles West of DFW South enterance 76462

Caged Versus Loose Needle Bearing (repost)

Looking at caged needle bearings it appears there's not a full complement for best anti-friction reduction. Now I feel there must be some wrenching guru's who have wondered the same thing.

Let's face it needle bearings a near the bottom of the bearing scale, so it would seem logical to have as many supporting the load as possible. Of course engine OEM's aren't going to have an assembly worker install each individual needle bearing separately so bearing OEM's figured out how to cage them so installation is fast and easy (saving $$$).

Any one out there that believes engine engineers haven't calculated just how long caged needles will last must live on a different planet. All differential/integral calculus is about determining the minimum design to meet the bean counters specs. Then they release it the finished product to their testing group = customers who perfect the design without costing the OEM a penny, if fact they even pay for OEM mistakes by shelling out for service bulletins and upgraded parts without using any anal lube.

If a new engineer complains that the design is marginal he/she is sat down with a metal trash can placed over them while the bean counter swing away with metal bats. Eventually even the slowest get the meaning of "our way or the highway".

I have spent over 50 years as the rubber meets the road trying to fix things which were the latest and greatest only to find "there they go again" while some train driver tries to dazzle me with brilliant

north jerz
    Ughhhh I hate working on my days off (I've been a manufacturing engineer at two diff bearing manufacturer's).

A full complement bearing MEANS there is no cage; the rolling elements (ball or roller) all contact each other, not a cage, keeping them in place. Yes a full complement bearing can support a greater radial load than a caged bearing, and if anything, a needle roller bearing can support a greater radial load of the same size (OD/ID/width) than a ball bearing since it's distributing the load over a longer contact area of the rollers.

But if we're talking about axial loads.... a need roller bearing isn't the answer. That would be an angular contact ball bearing.

Also, taking the SC of my SeaDoo, had a full complement needle roller bearing in it, so I'm not sure why you think OEM engines don't come with them?

Thread Information