Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sea doo gtx s 155 vs yamaha fx cruiser ho

Hi All!! Greetings from the far east! This is my first post here and also going to be my first PWC purchase.
    I have been looking at both model and is having hard time deciding.
    I am not looking for neck snapping performance, just looking for a comfortable cruiser to take my wife and 4.5 years old kid for an island hopping trip on the weekend, expecting to see some choppy water when its windy.

At first i was set on the GTX S 155, but seeing so many stories about sea doo being not reliable and cramped luggage space on the suspension models, I started having second thought. What scan tool do I need to buy to clear codes etc on sea doo? What do they use, OBD 1, OBD 2 or proprietary? We have BRP Can Am Spyder dealership, not sure if they use the same scan tool.

Yamaha with the FX cruiser HO looks promising, proven reliable Yamaha engine and 33gal of compartment space, no suspension on the yammy concerned me a bit thought, like I said I want to bring my wife and daughter along so I definitely need comfort as a priority.

input from someone who have tested both is really appreciated. I am looking for comfortable economical cruiser, the island hopping I am planning involves 4-5 hrs return trip and an hour or so playing on the beach, so fuel economy is as important as comfort too. I can live with slightly cramped luggage, I guess we can bring our own waterproof bags or something, but if both are equally comfortable in handling chops, I will go with the most luggage space.

I am very mechanically inclined, I can tune EFI, fix a broken ecu within reason, rebuild an engine and do bodyworks comfortably, there is no dealer for sea doo or yamaha PWC where I live, so I have to rely 100% on my own skill to repair and internet to source parts, so warranty works when something goes wrong is out of question. Availability of factory service manual is also a must.

thank you very much for the suggestions folks.

+1
    Why not the new GTX 215 LTD??? Would be a better comparison to the FX CR HO than a GTX 155 S....

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Why not the new GTX 215 LTD??? Would be a better comparison to the FX CR HO than a GTX 155 S....
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I consider Sea Doo solely because of the suspension, without the suspension on the Sea Doo I would go Yamaha hands down simply due to reliability. The only reason I consider Sea Doo is because of the suspension. And no I am not considering iS 260 either, I own a Range Rover, even on land electronic suspension is the worst nightmare to maintain, couldn't imagine on the water....

+1
    The suspensions on these things are really bullet proof. It has been around since 2009 and I have never had a suspension failure, other than a bad iS module, but that is because the ski sank and sat at under water for 2 months before the customer took it out of the water.

Yes, it is harder to work on anything with the suspension but........

The GTX 155 S is only a manual preload suspension that you must carry a wrench around with you to adjust, and needs to be adjusted if you ride with or without a passenger...

I am not trying to sell you on an iS model, just trying to let you see the comparison between the models you provided.

Have you ever driven one with this suspension or are you just sold on something because it looks fancy and cool?? why did you make a post about it, if you already made up your mind before hand? Do you think everone else in the world s suffering from becasue they bought a ski sans suspension?? You are a first time ski buyer right? good luck dude...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    The suspensions on these things are really bullet proof. It has been around since 2009 and I have never had a suspension failure, other than a bad iS module, but that is because the ski sank and sat at under water for 2 months before the customer took it out of the water.

Yes, it is harder to work on anything with the suspension but........

The GTX 155 S is only a manual preload suspension that you must carry a wrench around with you to adjust, and needs to be adjusted if you ride with or without a passenger...

I am not trying to sell you on an iS model, just trying to let you see the comparison between the models you provided.
    speaking about selling, if you are a dealer please pop me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    Have you ever driven one with this suspension or are you just sold on something because it looks fancy and cool?? why did you make a post about it, if you already made up your mind before hand? Do you think everone else in the world s suffering from becasue they bought a ski sans suspension?? You are a first time ski buyer right? good luck dude...
    I have ridden both non suspension and the one with suspension. The non suspension I rode for 3 hours with choppy water mixed in and the suspension model I only ridden in calm water for 10 minutes, off course I cannot judge between the two, and no I haven't made up my mind, that's why I posted this question. And no I do not think everyone with no suspension are suffering, but I want the most comfort possible but still considering other factor such as maintenance. I do not have privilege of having many models to test ride, so I really am relying on as much information I can get from forum such as this.
    If I am not considering my passengers, wife and kid, I would go Yamaha no question asked, I ride hardtail mountainbike so I know how suspend my body with my knee, but I really want them to enjoy the trip as much as I do behind the handlebar.

+1
    I've had quite a few I S skis and never had a suspension issue. They doo ride 100% more comfortable than non suspension skis.

Never had the suspension model you have to use a tool to adjust.

The suspension I S and A S really absorb the shock of hitting waves and rough waters.

Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    I've had quite a few I S skis and never had a suspension issue. They doo ride 100% more comfortable than non suspension skis.

Never had the suspension model you have to use a tool to adjust.

The suspension I S and A S really absorb the shock of hitting waves and rough waters.
    my debate is an rxt-x 260 and an fx svho

+1
    I haven't spent much time on the new FX line, but what little time I did spend I can tell you is that is doesn't turn at low to medium speeds....IT just pushes the front end, kind of like an old Waveraider... It may be a great rough water hull, but if it doesn't turn, what good is it????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information