Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FX Cruiser HO comfort and economy

Hi all,
    looking to buy my very first PWC. Planning to go 4-6 hours total runtime island hopping on weekends with my wife and 4.5 yo daughter, so comfort in choppy water and fuel economy is a top priority. Not going to worry about top speed or neck snapping acceleration, with my age and 3 kids I do not see myself racing my ski...

At first I was strongly considering Sea Doo GTX S 155 for the suspension, but Sea Doo bad reputation on reliability concerned me, so I started to look at Yamaha FX cruiser HO, sure looks nice on paper, but I am concerned about fuel economy being supercharged and comfort on choppy water being non suspension design.

Please advise and thanks a lot!

Banned User
    +1
    The HO is not supercharged. The SHO is the supercharged model.

+1
    The new FXHOs have the mechanical neutral which is cool. If reliability is the concern I don't think you can beat the Yamaha. While SeaDoo may have improved on reliability they are still more complicated. I bought my VXR from a dealer and was talking to a younger tech who seemed fairly knowledgable and not particular to any one brand. He mentioned that when the IBR motor goes out on a SeaDoo it's several hundred in parts and labor.

In regards to the suspension it seems that everyone riding the big Yamaha cruisers never complains about ride quality. I think the hulls cut through chop very well reducing the need for a complex and costly suspension system.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    The HO is not supercharged. The SHO is the supercharged model.
    Yes, my bad, some review just confused me...I am looking at HO for better fuel economy.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJosh View Post
    The new FXHOs have the mechanical neutral which is cool. If reliability is the concern I don't think you can beat the Yamaha. While SeaDoo may have improved on reliability they are still more complicated. I bought my VXR from a dealer and was talking to a younger tech who seemed fairly knowledgable and not particular to any one brand. He mentioned that when the IBR motor goes out on a SeaDoo it's several hundred in parts and labor.

In regards to the suspension it seems that everyone riding the big Yamaha cruisers never complains about ride quality. I think the hulls cut through chop very well reducing the need for a complex and costly suspension system.
    Sea Doo have all the cool bell and whistles that I can actually use in my riding environment and condition and that actually lured me.....I am not afraid of maintenance and very mechanically inclined, I can tune EFI, rebuild engine, bodyworks, fix mechanical failure on an ECU within reason. So if shop manual and scan tool for the Sea Doo is available to the public, I am not afraid to tackle the maintenance aspect, I know comfort cost money. However, there must be a limit of reasonable maintenance, for example I don't mind owning and maintaining porsche or even range rover, but i will never ever ever touch a jaguar = I don't mind chucking few hundreds here and there if I get the luxury and comfort in return but I definitely ain't buying something that breaks every other week.

So the underlining questions for me to base my purchase would be...how scary it is to maintain a Sea Doo and How the comfort factor compare between the two model Yamaha FX Cruiser HO Vs. Sea Doo GTX S 155?

Stick with the FX Ho , you will have one of the most reliable skis out on the market, and will thoroughly enjoy it. Forget about the suspension, the FX is an awesome ride. Remember, these fancy bells and whistles are ultimately just more things to break. No doubt seadoo is a very advanced ski, but the more shit you have on your ski, the more shit that will break. Period. The FX has great fuel economy, and is perfect rec ski, just need to keep the oil clean, the spark plugs fresh, and that ski will run 250+ hours with out fault. At that point, itll probably just need new pump bearings ...

Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    Stick with the FX Ho , you will have one of the most reliable skis out on the market, and will thoroughly enjoy it. Forget about the suspension, the FX is an awesome ride. Remember, these fancy bells and whistles are ultimately just more things to break. No doubt seadoo is a very advanced ski, but the more shit you have on your ski, the more shit that will break. Period. The FX has great fuel economy, and is perfect rec ski, just need to keep the oil clean, the spark plugs fresh, and that ski will run 250+ hours with out fault. At that point, itll probably just need new pump bearings ...
    Got permission from my friend's friend to test his FX Cruiser SHO in the next two weeks... I will try to be a passenger on choppy water and if I like the comfort level, I think I might go Yammy....no difference between HO and SHO in term of ride quality right? It's gonna be 100% sea water ride, any tips for maintenance?

Banned User
    +1
    I would do the yamaha as well. 155 hp is not enough for these big barges they build now.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwiik View Post

Got permission from my friend's friend to test his FX Cruiser SHO in the next two weeks... I will try to be a passenger on choppy water and if I like the comfort level, I think I might go Yammy....no difference between HO and SHO in term of ride quality right? It's gonna be 100% sea water ride, any tips for maintenance?
    HO & SHO hull are the same, so you will get a good idea of how it performs. Maintenance is very straight forward on the HO & is the key to hundreds of hours of trouble free running! The most important thing to do is spend time after every ride flushing & washing down the ski. Coat everything with fluid film....engine, impellor, pump housing & all hose clamps etc. Oil & filter change is simple to do.......all maintenance info is in the owners manual.
    When I was about to get my first ski in 07, I was going for a GTX 155, but switched to the FXHO at the last minute.......put over 300 hrs on that ski......still see it on the water every now & then....the new owner has still had no problems with it. 100 trouble free hrs now on my 2012 HO....all offshore riding.
    This is the yamaha forum, so opinions here will be a little one sided.......with very good maintenance, a Seadoo should be reliable, but as others have said, there is more to go wrong with them & personally I think the build quality is better with Yamaha. Best advice to you is try & test ride both & make your own mind up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post

This is the yamaha forum, so opinions here will be a little one sided........
    Oh come on now Volt, I think everyone here has been very reasonable with their input. No one has even mentioned the fact that BRP manufactures the skis using child labor in sweat shops or that the seats are manufactured from the hides of endangered species.

Although that closed loop system might have the advantage if it's all going to be salt water riding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information