Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2002 Virage i propulsion issue - broken stub shaft, damaged impeller

I got into some sea weed our last trip to the lake. It caused the ski to not move well so we got off and pulled out the weeds. The ski performed fine again. We were ready to head back to dock at this point.

There is about a three quarter mile no wake zone and then about a half mile normal speed zone then our dock. The ski went through the no wake fine. No strange sound or anything. When it went up to speed again it started making a loud grinding noise. It lost speed and the noise was the type that said this is going to cost a lot to fix.

Put it on the trailer and saw some metal on the output nozzle. I haven't pulled it apart yet but I am sure I lost bearings and the impeller.

K447 has some great reads on the jet pumps so I am confident I can repair it.

2 questions. I know where there are numerous broke down Polaris watercraft. Most were engine or computer problems. Is there a cross reference that says i could pull all the parts from one of these skis. Like will the jet drive on a 2001 Genesis fit a Virage i? Other models that used the same setup?

If I end up buying new parts are there things I can do to beef up performance since I am buying parts anyway. Better impellers other??
    Last edited by K447; 11-11-2013 at 01:23 AM.

+1
    Most of the jet pump parts are interchangeable. Get it torn down, figure out what happened and what you need, then go from there.....

Lots of reasonable sources for parts still available.....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Indeed, find out what is damaged and what is salvageable.

In terms of upgrades, the primary one might be the six vane stainless steel stator.

Intake grates are a separate potential upgrade, depending on what types of water you ride in.

Impeller must be matched to engine power, so the OEM original is a good starting point.

Since this is a Virage i two cylinder, have you read about deleting the water injection solenoid?

I read about deleting the water injection solenoid but I havent done it yet. Since I am working on the ski this winter I will do it.

I finally got around to pulling the pump apart. Problem is it came apart a part too easy. Appears the drive shaft and the stub shaft both broke. The impeller is done for and the wear ring is ground. Strange thing is it looked like the bearings were still good. No play in them and they turned easy. Is it possible I wrapped enough sea weed around the impeller that it broke both shafts where they meet in the impeller. Time to chase down parts. I guess I have all winter.

Just wanted to add, I will replace the bearings. Point is it doesn't look like a bearing failure caused the carnage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbetzelb View Post
    I finally got around to pulling the pump apart. Problem is it came apart a part too easy. Appears the drive shaft and the stub shaft both broke. The impeller is done for and the wear ring is ground.

Strange thing is it looked like the bearings were still good. No play in them and they turned easy.

Is it possible I wrapped enough sea weed around the impeller that it broke both shafts where they meet in the impeller. Time to chase down parts. I guess I have all winter.
    Once the drive shaft broke you would have zero thrust from the jet pump.

I suppose the seaweed could have canted the impeller and cracked the stub shaft. Then the stub shaft broke and the driveshaft became the only thing holding the impeller in line (other than the wear ring). More impeller wobble stress and the driveshaft cracks next.

There are some specially hardened stub shafts around. Normally only used in race applications, a hardened stub shaft might not have failed. It might take some asking around to source one.

I suggest rebuilding with a six vane stainless steel stator and a stainless steel extension wear ring. The SS stator was stock on the 1200 Virage and some other models.

I will need to check my notes on the SS wear rings

My bad, the drive shaft is fine. After I looked at it in the day light I was able to get what is left of the impeller off the drive shaft. The drive shaft looks straight.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbetzelb View Post
    My bad, the drive shaft is fine. After I looked at it in the day light I was able to get what is left of the impeller off the drive shaft. The drive shaft looks straight.
    What condition are the drive splines on each end of the drive shaft?

The splines should be square shouldered, not rounded or worn.

Don't lose the little rubber bumpers on each end of the drive shaft
    Last edited by K447; 11-11-2013 at 01:24 AM.

The splines look great. I don't remember rubber bumpers on either side. Is that why the smiley face. No rubber bumpers? O rings close to the end were still there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information