Thread: Pump Rebuild

+1

Pump Rebuild

In my searches I have not found much info or a step by step on rebuilding a pump. How hard is it to do without a bearing press if even possible at all? Unless I missed it, we need a sticky on how to do it

+1
    I asked the same question and I got a new pump from SBT and it was already built with the wear ring installed.

+1
    Download the shop manual from seadoomanuals.net or whatever the site is. Pretty sure it has pump rebuild in there.

+1
    Yea I got the manual but usually there are tricks that are not shown on there and since I don't have a bearing press I want to know if its do-able or not.

I have done it several times. The press is critical I would say. Applying even, constant pressure is key to getting the bearings to sit right. A good 10 or 20 tonne press is not too expensive and you can use it for your pump, SC and wear ring (even if you freeze the wr, it's still good to push home straight). Even if you don't plan on doing any other engine work, these three ongoing jobs will pay for the press in no time.

The actual job of pump rebuild is quite straightforward. Plan ahead, read, layout parts, read, read look THEN press!

Don't forget the inner rubber seal that you have to put in pump before you assemble bearing, it doesn't mention it in manual (can't remember part # now).

Keep your work area spotless, you dont want your new greased bearing to pick up all those metal filings laying on your bench!

Finally, consider replacing grease in cone with oil, don't overfil it, but a nice mod whilst you're there.

Go for it.

+1
    I just follow the shop manual procedure... but key points are that it says to use the expensive seadoo bearing installing tools and i just use my Harbor Freight Press and a set of harbor freight 3/4 or 1/2 inch drive sockets to press in the bearings. I just pick a socket that matches well and go with it... I use long brass punches to knock the old bearings and seals out... block the pump up on 2x4 blocks on the bench and start whaling... Wear rings are easily done with a hammer and a piece of wood and no press IMO, sometimes even i am too lazy to put the pump in the press over a wear ring. The 4-tec pumps are all loose, the wear ring often falls in by hand. If you try to hammer new bearings back in without using a press it's too likely that they will be damaged, so i would never recommend doing that personally.

+1
    Thanks for the info.....I did call a local dealer who quoted $110 to do 2 pumps since I already have them out and have the parts. Or I can buy a HF press and tools for $200 .....hmmm

Thread Information