2005 Ultra 150 - Buying advice

I am a current owner of an '08 250x, and am looking to pick up something affordable for the wife. I found a 2005 Ultra w/ 107hrs on it locally in Texas listed for 2800 with a double trailer (not new). I don't know much about this ski and am looking for some advice in general, and also what specifically to look for. Is this still a reliable ski today? What should I be looking for price wise?

If compression is on point and test ride goes ok, I was considering an offer of $2000 cash, but I don't want to offend if this is an unreasonable low ball. Let me know what you guys think!

+1
    The 150s require some maintenance, but they're more reliable than the 250. And don't be surprised if your wife can just about keep up with you!

Top overhauls are pretty much required before about 200 hours. Do not accept one that has sleeved cylinders, they should be nikasil plated. Inspect the oil lines for brittleness and plan to replace them if they haven't been replaced in recent years. While you're at it, inspect the oil pump cable for fraying (very common). The jet pump bearings fail pretty early, so watch for that. Also, check for water leaking at the driveshaft seal. If you buy it, remove the electronic display and seal the rubber plug on the back with 3M 5200 or it will get water in it if you flip it.

The Ultra 150 is a great, fun 'Ski. Much better if you modify the trim to give more up. Some people adjust/cut the cable end, I made a new bracket for the nozzle.

$2800 for an '05 in good condition is a fair price, especially if it comes with a double trailer.

Thanks for the quick response Steve. Changing oil lines and jet pump cable seems like cheap easy preventative maintenance.

Two questions in regards to the cylinders... why would they NOT be nikasil, and is there an easy way to inspect/identify this?

As far as the pump bearings, should these be inspected and changed preventatively? Not sure how easily accessible the pump is to inspect/work on.

Driveshaft seal... should I remove the seat while in the water to check for moisture ingress? How should I check for this?

I'm tearing through the forums to do my homework, but I appreciate any info you can give! What part of Texas are you in?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFama View Post
    Thanks for the quick response Steve. Changing oil lines and jet pump cable seems like cheap easy preventative maintenance.
    Yep, I like to secure the oil lines with stainless safety wire. Note that the hoses go to specific lube points--do NOT mix them up! Also, you CANNOT remove the oil pump and run pre-mix on this engine. (Well, you can, but you'll have to pull the engine and change the balance shaft bearing oil every 25 hours or so).

Two questions in regards to the cylinders... why would they NOT be nikasil, and is there an easy way to inspect/identify this?
    If somebody has done a top overhaul, they may have replaced an OEM cylinder with an SBT cylinder(s). They don't hold up well at all.

As far as the pump bearings, should these be inspected and changed preventatively? Not sure how easily accessible the pump is to inspect/work on.
    Usually the pump will make a rattling noise while idling in the water when the bearings are going bad. Don't continue to run it because you could tear up the housing.

Driveshaft seal... should I remove the seat while in the water to check for moisture ingress? How should I check for this?
    Yep, take the seat off and look for water coming in.

I'm tearing through the forums to do my homework, but I appreciate any info you can give! What part of Texas are you in?
    God's Country--Midland.

Another very worthwhile mod is a PRIMER. Makes starting instant and saves wear & tear on your starter & battery. However, do NOT remove the chokes from the original carbs. Doing so will make the carbs run uncontrollably lean and cause engine damage.

The Triple Pisser Mod is another very important mod. Allows you to monitor water flow out of each cylinder head.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    If you do get it, I would change the 90's coming from the heads to straight fittings and finish off with the tripple pisser's as posted above......hope you/she are riding flat water as this isnt a rough water ski....

Heres some old video of my modded 250 running a modded 150...both running a lil over 70 mph .....

he has changed his mind on the price... wanting no less than $3900 (per KBB even tho NADA is 2900). I'll be waiting for a more fair price.... thanks for the info guys!

+1
    Keep his phone number, he won't sell it for that price.

Thread Information