Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Land-based gps speed results....

SHOWED A SUCKY 0 MPH....first off,nothing hurt except my pride...ski had been sitting in barn for a few days with the ass end pulled about 10 inches past the end of trailer while i was putting in new skat prop and resealing everything and shimming and sealing ride plate...after sitting there for a few days i decided to pull her out of barn and do a few more things in better light...as i was pulling off....BAMMMMM....then it hit me...did i pull ski back up on trailer and hook safety chain?? HELL NO...forgot all about it and so there she sits and im at home all by myself and this thing is over 700 pounds....after scoping it out i pulled both tires off and slid trailer to the front of ski and raised tounge about 20 inches...got the bow winched up and then used a square shovel and 4x4 block as a fulcrum to raise ass end up enough to slide a few 2 inch pipes under it....then winched her on the rest of the way egyptian style...then jacked up trailer and put tires back on...all in 45 minutes....crawled under ski with spotlight looking for damage and found absolutely nothing...thanks to the KEEL GUARD it saved my ass....put on a 5 foot keel guard a while back and cant tell it makes ski handle any differently or scrubbed speed as im still a hair over 70 with full tank....CAUTION...BUNK SLICKS WORK VERY WELL...haaaa...i was on a very small incline when this happened...ive always locked winch up tight,hooked up safety chain to the bow eye and latched 2 transom straps snuggly...EXCEPT THIS TIME...haaa...could have been alot worse like on a holiday weekend and on a concrete ramp...ok...now let the joking and nick-names begin...haaa

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    DAMM SON glad it didn't get hurt......I have not had the pleasure of doing this personally but its fun to see it and know its not hurt or anything

did this years ago on my xlt. Next time just lift the tongue up and tilt the trailer underneath the front of the ski hook winch up and start cranking. It winches itself under the ski and the ski wont slide, it just rolls underneath the hull. The back of the ski just tilts up. When its halfway under you put all your weight on the front tongue and the ski and trailer become horizontal again and you just winch the rest of it forward.

+1
    I drop skis on the ground all the time switching trailers etc. Just tilt and crank.

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    did this years ago on my xlt. Next time just lift the tongue up and tilt the trailer underneath the front of the ski hook winch up and start cranking. It winches itself under the ski and the ski wont slide, it just rolls underneath the hull. The back of the ski just tilts up. When its halfway under you put all your weight on the front tongue and the ski and trailer become horizontal again and you just winch the rest of it forward.
    learn something new every day...i like your way better,but hopefully i will never do it again..

+1
    Wow, glad you or the ski were not hurt. I did something very close to that ...my son & I were in a hurry to get his ski out of the water .... @ the ramp. As he started to pull out & drive up the ramp ... I felt the ski starting to slide right off the back of the trailer (I was sitting on ski). Man was I scared. I now make it point to always connect tow strap & safety chain. Even when I work on ski in garage and have it slid back some ... i keep tow strap connected & trailer attached to SUV , so as not to get a tip-up situation. Again glad it .. it all turned out well for you. Lessons we learn !!!

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I dont know why folks use those things on trailer bunks....have owned skis and boats for 20+ years and never have had a problem getting them on or off their trailers.....have heard/seen this happen to quite a few other people when using the bunk slides or bunk sprays.....

+1
    Derick, I don't approve of or recommend this mod!!! It's only gonna slow you down......

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    I dont know why folks use those things on trailer bunks....have owned skis and boats for 20+ years and never have had a problem getting them on or off their trailers.....have heard/seen this happen to quite a few other people when using the bunk slides or bunk sprays.....
    yeah ive never had a need for them as i always lived where good water and good ramps were common...then i moved here to lake city,fl.....all we have is one big pond and the suwannee river...this time of year river is very low and ramps around here suck...when river is that low you cant back down ramp far enough to launch or load worth a damn and the bunk slicks make it alot easier....just got to remember to stay strapped and hooked...

Quote Originally Posted by 1200 stx-r View Post
    Derick, I don't approve of or recommend this mod!!! It's only gonna slow you down......
    yeah....unless im cruising the interstate at 80 mph and then it slides off...ouch...can you picture the mangled up pile of chit that would look like???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information