+1

Newbie Mistake...

Hey everyone,

Had an unfortunate event on the weekend which led to my FX140 nearly sinking on the weekened... I'll leave it up to you to figure out what it might have been...

The water got nearly up to the bottom of the air filter, before I got the drain plugs back in (yes, it was my fault...)

Bailed it out with a tin can and let it dry off for 45m. It took 5 goes to get it started again, but once it did it ran fine. Got home OK.

Washed it out very well and coated everything with protective coating.

Very, very embarrassing incident which I appear to have got out of very lightly and everything seems OK, but I thought I'd ask if there is anything else I should / should have done on the day?

Thanks in advance.

+1
    Glad you got it going again and figured out your problem before it was too late. The only thing I would done is pull the spark plugs before turning it over to make sure there wasn't any water in the cylinders. Sounds like you're fine though. Good luck!!

Mike

+1
    Great news that you managed to save your ski ... Did you go by your lottery ticket after that ? Ha Ha

+1
    Cheers guys, there is a $22 million lotto coming up tomorrow.... hahaha

+1
    I would change oil and filter just to be safe! Wash engine compartment good with fresh water, dry engine compartment real good with a Fan re spray protective coating again especialy it there was salt water that got in there. Tommy Jordan

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fordgt View Post
    ... I thought I'd ask if there is anything else I could / should have done on the day?

As a preventative measure right after drying it out and getting it running (or right after the first test ride) you could spray fogging oil into the air intake or whatever method is outlined in the manual for your machine during winterization or long term storage preparation.

The fogging oil sticks to and coats the engine internals and prevents any further corrosion, should there be residual water or salt present.

+1
    Thanks for the suggestions! I have soaked it in fresh water and protective spray. From what I can see I was lucky not to get water in the filter box or further in. I've taken it for a run since and it seems ok, but I'm still applying the protective spray to make sure I get everywhere possible.

I would have been devastated to have paid $6k for 6hrs of riding lol.

Well you can't say you've lived untill you find yourself one day in the middle of the bay/river with no one around and suddenly you discover that your prized ski is sinking. Your beautiful sunset cruise is suddenly turning into a nightmare.

Thread Information