Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange problem? Ski would not start on water!

Ive tried searching the wealth of threads and cant seem to find a clear answer to this question. I dont know if its an actual serious problem but it left me stranded. Anyways, I was out riding pretty hard and was jumping some waves. I rarely abuse the ski but couldn't resist today. After hitting some big waves (water over the ski) I ran it for about another 30 mins then stopped on some calm water so me and my wife could have some food and water. We sat out on the water for about 15 mins and the ski would turn over but not start!!! I tried several times and checked under the seats. Very little or no water in the bilge. Had to get towed in. Put it on the trailer and it fired right up. put it back in the water and it fired up no problem. Tried it several times and it worked no problem. Hits rev limiter everything seems fine? I just dont want to get stranded again. Please give inputs.

+1
    Welcome to the GH
    does it turn over slower or normal speed?
    did you here the double beep with the key on it?
    please tell us all about your ski
    my first guess is a bad dess key or not on the post correctly

Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    Welcome to the GH
    does it turn over slower or normal speed?
    did you here the double beep with the key on it?
    please tell us all about your ski
    my first guess is a bad dess key or not on the post correctly
    It turns over about regular speed. Nothing out of the ordanary. It seems like it wanted to start up but would only get up to 600 rpms then stall out. Its a 2004 Gtx SC, Very well maintained. I have no idea why it would not start when it runs like a champ and this was never an issue. No double beeb, I will try to recreate the problem tomorrow and post a video. Im a mechanical freak so I get paranoid when something doesnt act right. IF and this is a big IF the pounding of the waves were to knock something loose what should i be looking for? Do most people jump their 4 tecs?

+1
    no double beep means key not on correctly or wrong key
    adjust the key on post or just use a different key
    a working, correct key on the post with the motor not running will continue to make a very annoying double beep
    until it is removed or motor running

+1
    Check the inside of your DESS key for some rust stains. If so remove and also spray some XPS spray or equivalent inside for better contact.
    Or check your batteryconnections for corrosion and especially the first few cm of the cable inside the plastic!! Water tend to suck up in cables. Had a similar problem with an old XP.

This may not be related, since solenoid issues will "tick" rather than turn over as you're reprting, but are you running the original solenoid from 2004? If so, while you're chasing start gremlins, you may want to proactively prevent this one by upgrading to the newer version solenoid:

http://stevejenkins.com/blog/2013/07...-the-solenoid/

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Steve View Post
    This may not be related, since solenoid issues will "tick" rather than turn over as you're reprting, but are you running the original solenoid from 2004? If so, while you're chasing start gremlins, you may want to proactively prevent this one by upgrading to the newer version solenoid:

http://stevejenkins.com/blog/2013/07...-the-solenoid/
    Overall that link is an excellent guide regarding these solenoids.

The only comment I can add is that there appears to be an error in this section;
    “Safe” voltage meter test method: You do need the key on the ignition post for this test. Expose the solenoid’s posts as described above.
    Put your voltage meter in the appropriate mode to test for 12VDC (including one decimal place) and touch a test lead to each post.
    Put the engine in “drown mode” by holding down the throttle all the way, then press the start button.
    If you show
    less than 0.2V going across that connection, then your solenoid is confirmed bad.
    I believe it should read;

If you show more than 0.2V going across that connection while the Start button is held down, then your solenoid is confirmed bad.

Thank you all for your help! Il be sure to change out that solenoid before it fails. However, any other idea why it might not want to start? Like I mentioned, it would attempt to start but seemed to be struggling and after a few seconds the starter would just give up. After being towed out I performed the drowned procedure and then it fired right after, even on the water. what would broken engine mounts or other problems cause this isolated symptom? Too much oil maybe?

Thanks for your help guys, this stuff keeps me up at night...

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If you show more than 0.2V going across that connection while the Start button is held down, then your solenoid is confirmed bad.
    Yep - you're absolutely right, K447. The test procedure in the workshop manual (page 241, where I stole that from) says voltage across the solenoid should indeed be 0.2V max when working properly. I obviously blew through that section of my How-To a bit too quickly. I've corrected it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Speardoo04 View Post
    Thank you all for your help! Il be sure to change out that solenoid before it fails. However, any other idea why it might not want to start? Like I mentioned, it would attempt to start but seemed to be struggling and after a few seconds the starter would just give up. After being towed out I performed the drowned procedure and then it fired right after, even on the water. what would broken engine mounts or other problems cause this isolated symptom? Too much oil maybe?

Thanks for your help guys, this stuff keeps me up at night...
    I always hope for the easy stuff, so how's your battery charge?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information