1997 GP1200 not starting

I went to the lake today where I keep my ski and was planning on running out the old gas and winterizing her for the year. It's on the trailer so I was getting ready to hook it up to the hose but before I did I primed it and started it for maybe 5 seconds (no issues started right up). Hooked up the hose and went to start it and nothing. The electronic dash would come on but the motor would not turn over or even click at the starter.

Checked the battery and connections. Good
    Hit the lock code. Unlocked cleared to start.

I had to leave so I didn't have a chance to keep looking at it. Seems like it's an electronic issue or something. If you guys could point out some common issues so I know what to look for it would be a big help.

Thank You.

+1
    Did you check the fuse?

No had to run.

Where would the fuse be located at?

+1
    Black cap screws onto the face of the electrical box behind the motor. Check that battery voltage is 12.5 also.

+1
    You did NOT turn the water on before trying to start right? "IF" you did, you probably filled the motor with water, and it is hydro locked.

Knowing Yamaha's, I bet it is your stop switch. Specifically the tether switch. The rubber boot inside the housing gets distorted, and will "hold" the button down internally, even when the tether clip is on. You can disassemble the switch to inspect.

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    You did NOT turn the water on before trying to start right? "IF" you did, you probably filled the motor with water, and it is hydro locked.

Knowing Yamaha's, I bet it is your stop switch. Specifically the tether switch. The rubber boot inside the housing gets distorted, and will "hold" the button down internally, even when the tether clip is on. You can disassemble the switch to inspect.
    I did not turn the water on. Started it for a few seconds then shut her down.

What you said about the tether switch makes sense because It would not start with the tether clip on until I pulled it up with my fingers ( a little further up than the clip would get it) That's how I started it the first time. Didn't work after that.

Anything I need to look for when taking the housing apart? Is this an easy fix or should I take it in?

Thread Information