Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New Iberia, LA
    Posts
    248
    +1
    17

    Anyone use shop vac to suck out oil?

    Iím planning my fist oil change and am thinking of sucking the oil out with a shop vac. I plan to run a small hose through the shop vac main hose and duck tape it at the end, leaving the small hose stick out a few feet. The small hose will run into the shop vac and into a catch can (so I donít get oil in the shop vac). On my shop vac there is a sliding panel on the hose that I can open and allow air into it, effectively reducing the vacuum at the end of the hose. I figure I can open/close that panel to modulate the vacuum on the line going into the oil pan. Worth a shot?

    Ryan


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    ocean county nj
    Posts
    45
    +1
    1
    hmmm that sounds like a good way to wreck a shop vac with oil what i use for my oil changes in my rxp is Motive Products Power Extractor it has a clear hose that i put down the dip stick and you pump it up and creates a vacum and sucks the oil into a tank best way to go i think

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New Iberia, LA
    Posts
    248
    +1
    17
    I think I can keep things really clean and not spill any oil into the shop vac. I'm going to do a test with water tonight and see how things go.

    Ryan

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    290
    +1
    16
    As cheap as they are why not just buy something built for the task?

    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=864

  5. +1 by:


  6. #5
    TheGunMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    454
    +1
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJosh View Post
    As cheap as they are why not just buy something built for the task?

    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=864

    What about using shop vac instead of this hand pump?

  7. #6

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    290
    +1
    16
    Guess it's something you could test.

  8. #7
    steach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rock Tavern, NY
    Posts
    3,174
    +1
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryans rebel View Post
    I think I can keep things really clean and not spill any oil into the shop vac. I'm going to do a test with water tonight and see how things go.
    I used my wet(only) vac to suck up oil, one pint at a time when my drive shaft seal went bad.
    It makes an incredible mess of a shop vac. Mine is now on the EPAs national registry of polluted sites.

    The proper oil sucker is worth the $$.

  9. +1 by:


  10. #8
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    Posts
    6,529
    +1
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryans rebel View Post
    I’m planning my fist oil change and am thinking of sucking the oil out with a shop vac. I plan to run a small hose through the shop vac main hose and duck tape it at the end, leaving the small hose stick out a few feet. The small hose will run into the shop vac and into a catch can (so I don’t get oil in the shop vac). On my shop vac there is a sliding panel on the hose that I can open and allow air into it, effectively reducing the vacuum at the end of the hose. I figure I can open/close that panel to modulate the vacuum on the line going into the oil pan.

    Worth a shot?

    Ryan

    Really?

    Please buy a proper oil suction tool. The first oil change isn't a freebie. Buy the correct tools.

    There is a reason nobody makes an oil extraction attachment for a shop vac

    You will come down with a serious case of pneumonia from breathing the fumes that will be generated.

    Not to mention coating everything in sight with used motor oil

    Read The warning label on the motor oil container. You will essentially be atomizing used motor oil.

    Wash hands and/or wear gloves during oil changes. It is not nice stuff.

  11. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New Iberia, LA
    Posts
    248
    +1
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryans rebel View Post
    I’m planning my fist oil change and am thinking of sucking the oil out with a shop vac. I plan to run a small hose through the shop vac main hose and duck tape it at the end, leaving the small hose stick out a few feet. The small hose will run into the shop vac and into a catch can (so I don’t get oil in the shop vac). On my shop vac there is a sliding panel on the hose that I can open and allow air into it, effectively reducing the vacuum at the end of the hose. I figure I can open/close that panel to modulate the vacuum on the line going into the oil pan.

    Worth a shot?

    Ryan

    Really?
    i couldn't help but laugh after reading this (in agreement)! Okay, okay. I'll get the proper tools. I just thought it would be a neat experiment to try and use a shop vac. After all, how often do you change your oil? Once a year at most?

    Ryan

  12. #10
    Eastside Powersports Slow 91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    River Crew CT
    Posts
    4,248
    +1
    544
    I had a customer ski come In with 5 qts of oil at the bottom of the hull after the dealer did a pto cover gasket and using my shop vac seemed like the fastest way to clean up the mess....needless to say, I had to buy a new vac

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. anti freez for winterizing or use a compressor to blow out water or both
    By peterj59 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-17-2011, 08:20 PM
  2. To much oil in my Ski - Anyone use this thing?
    By XDAILY in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 02:28 PM
  3. Raider 700 anyone used fuel cleaner to clear jet
    By jeeprunnr in forum Yamaha Old School Skis
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 07:58 PM
  4. Has anyone used Mirconized Molybdenum Disulfide in inj oil?
    By Gappa in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 04:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •