West Central Florida

No power valves in a power valve

Hey Guys, I have an outside the box crazy question. Has anyone ever ran a power valve motor without the power valves installed? If so, how does it run. I know the power valves work to spread the power band over a wider range. So without them installed, wouldn't it just run like a non-power valve setup?

Sit tight as the experts should the meantime I believe by leaving them in, the exhaust port is effectively lowered, and by doing so you only benefit from low-end exhaust port timing. If that's correct, then you would suffer on the top-end because the valve does not open and raise the port for quicker removal of exhaust gasses at higher RPM... . And in theory the opposite if they're left out.

Palm coast FL / Shakopee MN
    u know i bought a motor before for one of the skis i was working on, and realized it had powervalves missing.... always wondered about this... forgot about it till you mentioned it....

Houston, Texas
    You have to have the valves installed, because there is a big hole in the exhaust port without them. You can lock them in the up position, but will have little or no bottom end power.

...and I'd be willing to guess that a non-power valve cylinder for say a 1200 v. pv1200, has a completely different exhaust port shape/height and... . FWIW, Group k has a big bore setup that locks the powervalves in-place, but that's for the gp800r.

Thread Information