2003 seadoo sportster white smoke

I just bought an 03 sportster 155. I took it out and was getting white smoking coming from the exhaust. It was really choppy so I barely drove it, but about 5 minutes in I noticed white smoke. I changed the oil and spark plugs right before and the oil is in the middle of the dipstick. Any ideas on what is causing this? Cost for possible repairs? It felt like the power was there and it didn't overheat although I only ran it for a mile or 2 stopping often. I took a video. The coolant level looked the same. No leaks. The boat and engine are very clean. No leaks, oil any where, good hoses, and pretty much spotless. I checked the oil after and it looked perfect (level and look of oil). I didn't seem to smoke when I ran it off of a hose when I bought it. It was when I put it in the water and ran it under load that it was noticeable.
    Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Mrcarl92807; 11-04-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Added information

+1
    where are you located and what were the air and water temps at the time of that video? It could be normal because of those things, like your car on a cold day??? Did the smoke smell of antifreeze, because only usually antifreeze will burn a white color like that...

+1
    The exhaust gets pretty hot on these engine and such a short system dumps very hot water and exhuast fumes right into cold water....steam!

I'm in Southern California. It was about 65-70 degrees. Not sure about the water temperature, but you would be fine with a wetsuit. We didn't smell anything. It might have had grey in the smoke too. It looked more like smoke then anything that would come out if an exhaust pipe on a cold day. Any idea? It definately wasn't right. I ride jet skis all the time out there and the guys with seadoos never smoke like that except one guy who had oil burning.

+1
    steam... Boat is a lot more hull to move = more engine load = more heat. If it doesn't disappear and just hangs in the air then it's time to worry

6. +1 by:

+1
    +1 ... Steam... my ski does this all the time, especially after a hard WOT run... it concerned me at first as well...
    Keep an eye on the fluids and if you are really worried do a compression check or a leak down test to detect any remote possibility of head gasket trouble.

Thanks for the replies. Stress level went way down after reading your opinions. I'm taking it in this weekend for a full inspection. Compression, leak test, and check for computer codes. All the things I should have done before I bought it. Ill post the results when I get them and I'm hoping this will be helpful for anyone else with the same concerns.

I had it checked out. The smoke was totally normal. He has the same boat and we even started his up to compare. It had 67 hours on it, compression was 200,170,200. Only fault code was an uncoded key was used which he programmed for me and cleared the codes. If anyone is looking for a seadoo mechanic in Orange County or LA California send me a message and ill give you the info.

Thread Information