+1

What do I need to do?

I have had Yamaha and Polaris skis in the past, this is my first Seadoo.(2001 GTX Carb) Its recent past consisting of the last 4 years, the ski was ridden for week each year(while on vacation at time share) and basicly just put away. The second owner which I bought it from got it after a new motor was put in it and so far as I could tell from talking to him did nothing but ride it for that 1 week over the past 4 years and put it away in a heated garage. The gas that is presently in it is from last Memorial day!(yes I am taking it out) There is 107 hours on this motor.

I am in the process of changing out the Tempo fuel lines and have carb rebuilt kits ordered. I have been reading about changing pump oil? That is foreign to me as I never dealt with it before. Can somebody provide a link for a how to, or give me some guidance on how to do this? I am assuming it should be done?

Is there anything else that is different with Seadoo that I need to know so far as preventive maint.?

+1
    found a youtube vid on changing the pump oil, much more straight fwd. and easy then I had thought when just reading it. No, I aint feelin a bit stupid for asking about this now!

+1
    Pump oil is EASY. Don't forget a dab of marine grease in the front of the impeller where the drive shaft goes when you put it back together. When you do the carbs make sure to leak check at 10psi and pop off test. Make sure to set the oil pump cable so that the timing mark is a little rich when you re-install the carbs. Make sure to inspect the oil lines from the injector pump to the intake, paint cracking is OK, lines cracking is instant motor death. If you feel so inclined you can change the oil filter, but hopefully it's been done at the motor swap, that's when i do them. That ski has a 951 if i recall correctly... so that means that it has 2 different sizes of fuel lines. The feed lines to the carbs are 5/16, the return lines are 1/4"... and it's ugly if you try to use the wrong size in the wrong place. Check the fuel selector while you have it off to change the lines, they are often a source of leaks and are full of tempo line goo... Obviously also check and empty the fuel water separator... Do not OVER grease the fitting on the PTO, just like a pump or less will usually do it, if the rubber boot swells up stop immediately or it will burst, the result is a grease line slung around the hull...

Other than that you should be good to go...

4. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wkuadam07 View Post
    Pump oil is EASY. Don't forget a dab of marine grease in the front of the impeller where the drive shaft goes when you put it back together. When you do the carbs make sure to leak check at 10psi and pop off test. Make sure to set the oil pump cable so that the timing mark is a little rich when you re-install the carbs. Make sure to inspect the oil lines from the injector pump to the intake, paint cracking is OK, lines cracking is instant motor death. If you feel so inclined you can change the oil filter, but hopefully it's been done at the motor swap, that's when i do them. That ski has a 951 if i recall correctly... so that means that it has 2 different sizes of fuel lines. The feed lines to the carbs are 5/16, the return lines are 1/4"... and it's ugly if you try to use the wrong size in the wrong place. Check the fuel selector while you have it off to change the lines, they are often a source of leaks and are full of tempo line goo... Obviously also check and empty the fuel water separator... Do not OVER grease the fitting on the PTO, just like a pump or less will usually do it, if the rubber boot swells up stop immediately or it will burst, the result is a grease line slung around the hull...

Other than that you should be good to go...
    Thank you for the useful post, it will be of help!

Thread Information