Bulletproofing Bailer Tubes

Every time I look at those bailer tube assemblies, I think "Man... there's an easy point of failure with potentially awful results!"

Any suggestions for bulletproofing those things? Are those 90 degree connectors necessary? Could I re-plumb and secure with something more stout?

+1
    Just install a bilge pump mate the only safe way to go!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Steve View Post
    Every time I look at those bailer tube assemblies, I think "Man... there's an easy point of failure with potentially awful results!"

Any suggestions for bulletproofing those things? Are those 90 degree connectors necessary? Could I re-plumb and secure with something more stout?
    Examine those 90 degree connectors carefully. Is there a tiny breather hole in each one? If yes, that is there to provide a break in the suction when the engine is not running and thereby prevent reverse siphon from flooding the engine area and sinking the machine.

The reason the elbow is elevated is again to prevent reverse water flow when engine is off. The bilge siphon elbow (with pinhole vent) must be positioned above the outside water level so that gravity prevents reverse water flow into the hull.

Certainly you can upgrade the hose/tubing between the jet pump and the elbow. Higher grade or reinforced hose would be less likely to get damaged inadvertently.

As long as the vented elbow is up high and the hose can flow during suction from the jet pump, you can strap it down and toughen it up as much as you like.

The main thing is to make sure it will not inadvertently sink when the engine is off.

+1

BRP/Sea-Doo has been using this design since the early 90's and no issues...Why reinvent the wheel???

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    BRP/Sea-Doo has been using this design since the early 90's and no issues...Why reinvent the wheel???
    Good point, and don't wanna re-invent wheels. Just want to know if there's anything I should do to keep them from falling off while moving.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Good point, and don't wanna re-invent wheels. Just want to know if there's anything I should do to keep them from falling off while moving.

Get some good quality ty raps like T&B with the metal tab and replace all the oem ones on the bailer tubes, make sure the 90 deg elbows are fastened up high in the hull and you're good to go. Bilge pump is also a very good idea I will be installing a Whale 650 gph in both my machines over the winter.

+1
    remember bailer tubes only work when the ski is moving
    and if you get a leak in engine bay you may need to turn off the motor to stop the leak
    that is why most recommend a electric bilge pump

+1
    Do what I do and put a bilge on one side and leave one bailer in. the bailer sucks out any small amount and if you have a good leak the bilge will get that.

+1
    All good points. Here is a pic of what I did to elevate the bailers and replaced brittle zip ties with SS clamps. Overkill and anal, yeah probably. I also have 2 bilge pumps.

My Auto bilge pump setup saved my ass again a few rides ago, taking a piss every few minutes letting me know I had an issue. Carbon seal and bellows being interfered with kana flex hose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0844.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	318012

Thread Information