Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2000 SLH 700 spark plug fouling - with pictures

Hello All

I own an international 780 SLH (I'm from the uk) which is located in the South of France. It is used only occasionally when we holiday there twice a year. I came and read the forum when i aquired the ski to get a heads up on what i should do. Been running it for about 4 or 5 years and had some good fun however.....

This year we have had some plug fouling issues. Some background first. I always go through the downloaded manual and service the ski before use has always new plugs, air filters cleaned and fuel filters changed etc. Things greased as required. I always flush after use however minimal and always fog using the onboard fogging system.

The fouling problem - when first starting we get alot of smoke and this normally burns off and you then get traces still coming from exhaust (normal i think). The ski starts to miss and eventually starts to bog. I have attached images of the plugs for you to see. The first set which shows one starting to get black is where i beleive it starts to miss, the other is a light brown but very fouled (non oily) with deposits.

We changed plugs over a period of about 3 hours 1st original (new) set, 2nd new set and a third cleaned set, all fouled and started to miss. The spark plugs are the correct ones per the manual NGK BPR8ES.

I need some help please on where i start to work, i may end up having to bring the ski home to the uk to do this depending on what i need to do. From all my reading in the forum there is a huge amount of knowledge here and i would appreciate if you guys can help me with the issue. Thanks

Kevin

Edit: Actual model is 2000 SLH 700
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image8.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	317914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	317915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	317916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	317917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	317918  
    Last edited by K447; 11-07-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Last 3 photos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image7.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	317919Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image5.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	317920Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image6.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	317921
    Last edited by K447; 11-07-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    What kind of oil are you using?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What year and model is this? 780 SLH does not quite make sense to me

Is the stock/original oil pump still installed and in use?

If yes, check the cable or linkage between the throttle and the oil pump. If the linkage is disconnected or incorrectly connected then the variable rate oil pump will swing to maximum 100% oil flow at all times. This will deliver excessive oil during low and mid-range RPM.

How are you riding? Lots of low speed riding and slow zones?

Have you changed gasoline brands or grades?
    How old is the gasoline?
    Do you add fuel stabilizer to the fuel tank prior to storage?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What year and model is this? 780 SLH does not quite make sense to me
    From what i have found out i think its a 1999, with a twin cylinder red domestic engine.

Is the stock/original oil pump still installed and in use?
    Yes

If yes, check the cable or linkage between the throttle and the oil pump. If the linkage is disconnected or incorrectly connected then the variable rate oil pump will swing to maximum 100% oil flow at all times. This will deliver excessive oil during low and mid-range RPM.

Is still stock and was checked in terms of cable when i serviced it, which was ok. I read another post about making sure its correctly around the cable guide again for the same reason, i will put this on the check list. I also read about disconnecting it and going premix (not sure about that option....).

How are you riding? Lots of low speed riding and slow zones?

Normally various, but from mid to fairly fast, can't always get WOT due to waves.

Have you changed gasoline brands or grades?

No, same garage used, same grade unleaded 95

How old is the gasoline?

Normally run the tank to warning light before finishing, there may be a small amount left from previous season.

Do you add fuel stabilizer to the fuel tank prior to storage?

No, not used.

Thanks

Kevin

+1
    Last two digits on the HIN number plate on the rear deck are the model year.

I am guessing this is a 700cc engine in an SLH 700 model.

To check the oil pump indexing you need a mirror and a compact flashlight. The index marking is on the front face of the oil pump arm and the matching mark is on the front face of the oil pump body. Somewhere on here I have posted photos of what this looks like.

You will need the mirror because you need to be looking horizontal and straight on at the marks to see if they are aligned.

Since the machine spends so much time sitting, I am suspecting the carburetor is overdue for an internal cleaning and rebuild. If the original gray Tempo fuel hoses are still present, replace them all at the same time as the carb rebuild.

While the machine is sitting for months on end the gasoline can evaporate and leave gummy deposits inside the carburetor which do not easily dissolve even in fresh gasoline, the deposits just accumulate with time.

If not cleaned out the carburetor can run the engine lean and cause significant engine internal damage. See 'Piston Lean Burn' for more details.

Check the spark plug wire ends for damage and measure the ohms from spark plug wire end to the other end, and to ground.

If this machine is 1999 or older, do you know if it has the ignition update kit installed?

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    It is Fuchs Silkolene 2 stroke marine grade oil either semi synthetic or fully synthetic. The bottle is in the South of France and the ebay transaction is too old to be listed anymore in my history. I may have another one at home will check tomorrow.

Regards

Kevin

Last two digits on the HIN number plate on the rear deck are the model year.

I am guessing this is a 700cc engine in an SLH 700 model.
    Will post exact model when im home which is not until tomorrow, i think i checked the Vin plate which is where i got the 1999 from, but i do have some original docs at home that may also have the Vin details on.

To check the oil pump indexing you need a mirror and a compact flashlight. The index marking is on the front face of the oil pump arm and the matching mark is on the front face of the oil pump body. Somewhere on here I have posted photos of what this looks like.

You will need the mirror because you need to be looking horizontal and straight on at the marks to see if they are aligned.

Yes i think i have seen that post already, will put that on the list to do.

Since the machine spends so much time sitting, I am suspecting the carburetor is overdue for an internal cleaning and rebuild. If the original gray Tempo fuel hoses are still present, replace them all at the same time as the carb rebuild.
    Again, i have seen this in quite a few posts and had convinced myself also that a carb rebuild was in order, which is why i said it may have to come home. The PWC resides at a mobile home park near the coast so no workshop facilities....

Tempo fuel hoses already changed from reading the forum about 3 years ago.

Check the spark plug wire ends for damage and measure the ohms from spark plug wire end to the other end, and to ground.
    You mean the electrodes where the spark jumps? Never seen any damage.

Ohms measurement from inside the plug cap to ground?

If this machine is 1999 or older, do you know if it has the ignition update kit installed?
    I suspect no ignition update.

I have done the wiring mod for the start problem.

Any work won't happen until at the earliest Apr / May next year which will be the first visit to the mobile home but want a clear plan of what i want to get done when there as its approx 750 mile drive.....

Thanks

Kevin

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick.uk View Post
    You mean the electrodes where the spark jumps? Never seen any damage.

Ohms measurement from inside the plug cap to ground?

I suspect no ignition update.

I have done the wiring mod for the start problem.
    Make note of the two different specs for testing the ignition. Original vs Update Kit for the 700 engine.

The ignition coil is wired differently in the Updated ignition.

You can tell from the ohm measurements whether it is original or updated. Or you can open the electrical box and read the number from the CDI (which may be handwritten on the back side).

If the ignition is original and it was starting to fail you may be having misfiring which could foul the spark plug tips.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick.uk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    It is Fuchs Silkolene 2 stroke marine grade oil either semi synthetic or fully synthetic...
    This oil?

Quote Originally Posted by About Fuchs Silkolene Aqua Comp
    Silkolene Aqua Comp is a synthetic blend, very low smoke 2-stroke oil formulated for modern, high performance 2-cycle engines used in recreational or racing personal watercraft. Developed using similar technology to the successful and race proven comp 2 range
    Silkolene Aqua comp is ideal for use in engines which are used seasonally or infrequently as it leaves a coating which prevents corrosion on all internal surfaces
    Its low ash additive system ensures clean burning and less carbon build-up internally in vital areas such as rings and ports, ensuring optimum
    performance retention.

Fuchs Silkolene Aqua Comp 2 Stroke Semi Synthetic Marine Oil - Application

• Silkolene Aqua comp is suitable for premix and injector use in high output engines used for racing and water skiing
    • Recommended for highly modified racing engines
    • Pre-diluted, ashless 2-stroke gasoline engine oil for cruising and pleasure watercraft
    • Suitable for pre-mix or autolube injector systems

Fuchs Silkolene Aqua Comp 2 Stroke Semi Synthetic Marine Oil
    is also known as Fuchs Aqua Semi Synthetic Oil, Fuchs 2 Stroke Marine Oil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information