Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Titanium SC shaft nuts

Anyone ever use them? Rotating mass is the worst kind of mass. Everyone argued with me when I used Ti on the cam bolts but I slapped their asses down with math and SCIENCE!! Been running them for 1.5 years no issues.

Anyway the front and back nuts have some mass to them and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to alleviate some weight from the spinning SC.

+1
    I own a machine shop, love Ti! I don't see why it would not work. Worst thing is would be zero gain I think. Don't think it can harm anything.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    Anyone ever use them? Rotating mass is the worst kind of mass. Everyone argued with me when I used Ti on the cam bolts but I slapped their asses down with math and SCIENCE!! Been running them for 1.5 years no issues.

Anyway the front and back nuts have some mass to them and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to alleviate some weight from the spinning SC.

Probably would cut cut the weight in half...let's see some math . With all the other variable factors...seems like it wouldn't be worth it or would be hard to determine effective ness. Wouldn't be hard though.

I personally would like a light weight seat for my px260....my nut weight really isn't a problem

+1
    seat is nothing compared to valvetrain mass. The SC shaft is an extension of the valvetrain. Ever wonder why everyone makes a big deal of titanium spring retainers, lightened cam sprockets, cams and shafts?

+1
    seat is nothing compared to valvetrain mass. The SC shaft is an extension of the valvetrain. Ever wonder why everyone makes a big deal of titanium spring retainers, lightened cam sprockets, cams and shafts?

Got that, but now your talking about a whole more than just a few nuts. Not sure what the seat weights...maybe 20lbs.? Give me a carbon fiber seat that weights 5lbs and that's something. I'd love to get 5-6 gallons of weight off my ski...not sure that is possible.

whats the best bang for the buck...weight off other places or full valve train lightening?

+1
    the valvetrain allows you to rev higher and faster, helps engine longevity, and relieves stress on the entire rotating assembly.

If you want to ditch weight get rid of the entire factory air assembly and run about a 1.5ft section of 4" tube straight back, remove OPAS and swap in a lighter smaller IC. That's about it that's easy and cheap

+1
    I guarantee that nut would save clutch washers/steels. Rotating mass isn`t always bad. Briggs & Stratton first learned this in lawnmowers and edgers. The motors wouldnt idle without rotating mass. When I use to run flathead karts the lightflywheel was great for certain tracks then large ovals a heavy flywheel kept momentum in the motor for power out of turn. But in the case of a charger utilizing clutches, light is good.

+1
    the valvetrain allows you to rev higher and faster, helps engine longevity, and relieves stress on the entire rotating assembly.

If you want to ditch weight get rid of the entire factory air assembly and run about a 1.5ft section of 4" tube straight back, remove OPAS and swap in a lighter smaller IC. That's about it that's easy and cheap
    No OPASon TX/PX260's or anything after 2010 that I am aware off. factory intake...gone.

What's lighter/better than Riva Gen 3?

valves might be in my future...and light weight nuts

+1
    Musta been running those tater digger motors...

Quote Originally Posted by HOSS View Post
    I guarantee that nut would save clutch washers/steels. Rotating mass isn`t always bad. Briggs & Stratton first learned this in lawnmowers and edgers. The motors wouldnt idle without rotating mass. When I use to run flathead karts the lightflywheel was great for certain tracks then large ovals a heavy flywheel kept momentum in the motor for power out of turn. But in the case of a charger utilizing clutches, light is good.

+1
    So close to the base circle I can't see it being worth anything. If it were larger in diameter maybe.

11. +1 by:

JPR

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information