Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

Question What is the best ski for touring rides? Reliable, long range, good in rough water...

Comparing these models with the lower output engines to see which is best for touring rides. If you have any info or input on any of these please share. Anyone have the FX HO or the Kawasaki Ultra LX and can speak to there range or performance in rough water? Is the LX hull as good as the FX HO's in chop? The Honda is in there because it's the last of their 1200 non turbos and is what I'm looking to possibly upgrade from.

Engine Super- Super Fuel
    cc charged Deep V Fuel capacity est.mpg est. range Storage MSRP
    2007 Honda F-12 1200 NO NO 91 16.6 9 149.4 $9,799
    2014 Kawasaki Ultra LX 1500 NO YES? 87 20.6 7.5 154.5 60 $11,199
    2014 Seadoo GTX 155 1500 NO ? 87 15.9 7 111.3 13.7 $12,199
    2013 Yamaha FX HO Cruiser 1800 NO YES 87 18.5 6 111 33.2 $13,399
    2013 Yamaha VX Cruiser 1050 NO NO 87 15.9 9 143.1 15.1 $9,799

+1
    Having owned a FXHO a great touring ski good range and all, but the Ultra LX better range, better rough water hull in my veiw but either a good choice.
    What about the Honda F15 good hull great motor? way better than the F12 in the rough.

Wally

+1
    You're certainly gonna get a wide range of opinion's....

I was looking for the same thing a couple of years ago. I rode them all, and settled for the GTX155. Nice big fat seat, for my big fat seat... Deep foot wells for stretching out. S3 hull really handles the rough stuff! Excellent range / economy. Many, many standard features over the others, that make for easy operation (iControls). Bullet proof 155 hp engine, that's also easy to maintain. Over-all, an excellent well rounded touring package. I was really looking hard at the Ultra LX, until I sat on that BLACK seat cover on a 90 deg. day. It really burned my ass (pun intended). Deal breaker for me. Picked up the 2012 GTX155 at a year end sale event. Saved $2000 and got a free extended warranty. Done.....

+1
    Forget the Honda they don't even make PWC anymore.
    I would go with the FX HO without hesitation; you'll get an amazing 1812 cc engine and you can add a 5 year extended warranty with it, which Sea-Doo doesn't offer.
    My neighbor had the Kawasaki LX, it was a very wet ride and he complained about getting 10 gallons of water over the hood until he sold it and got a Yamaha. They might have changed it for 2014; not sure. Best thing is to try and test ride them all and choose the one you like best. Here is a full review of my Yamaha PWC experience...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...urs+perfection

Banned User
    +1
    I don't think any one of those would be a bad choice. If you can get a chance to ride all of them, I would do that and pick the one you like best. If you like to carry things though, the Kawi kills them all in available storage. What type of water will you be riding in? Thats a huge factor.

+1
    Yes Bryan the storage on the LX is amazing I have ridden the LX in rough water, its no wetter than the FXHO with a better hull and dont rule out the the Honda. Parts are not that hard to come by even here in New Zealand.The only reason I suggested the F15 was because you were looking at the F12 plus the F15 is still one of the dryest ride's.
    Plus Honda still exist its not the like brand has gone.
    The Sea Doo would also be a great choice, like Bryan said personal preference comes into play.
    Last edited by wally43; 11-06-2013 at 12:40 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wally43 View Post
    Having owned a FXHO a great touring ski good range and all, but the Ultra LX better range, better rough water hull in my veiw but either a good choice.
    What about the Honda F15 good hull great motor? way better than the F12 in the rough.

Wally
    Only problem there is the non-Turbo F-15's are tough to find...and I'm spoiled with the fuel economy of the F-12 plus I'd like to try something different next time around.

Anyone know the range or mpg of the LX? Or any of them for that matter...numbers I have are estimations from what I've seen/read.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SEA-NYLE View Post
    You're certainly gonna get a wide range of opinion's....

I was looking for the same thing a couple of years ago. I rode them all, and settled for the GTX155. Nice big fat seat, for my big fat seat... Deep foot wells for stretching out. S3 hull really handles the rough stuff! Excellent range / economy. Many, many standard features over the others, that make for easy operation (iControls). Bullet proof 155 hp engine, that's also easy to maintain. Over-all, an excellent well rounded touring package. I was really looking hard at the Ultra LX, until I sat on that BLACK seat cover on a 90 deg. day. It really burned my ass (pun intended). Deal breaker for me. Picked up the 2012 GTX155 at a year end sale event. Saved $2000 and got a free extended warranty. Done.....
    What is the range/mpg of the GTX? I believe I read that they changed the seat on the LX for that reason? Or maybe that was another brand...I read up on all of them yesterday and they're running together in my head.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Forget the Honda they don't even make PWC anymore.
    I would go with the FX HO without hesitation; you'll get an amazing 1812 cc engine and you can add a 5 year extended warranty with it, which Sea-Doo doesn't offer.
    My neighbor had the Kawasaki LX, it was a very wet ride and he complained about getting 10 gallons of water over the hood until he sold it and got a Yamaha. They might have changed it for 2014; not sure. Best thing is to try and test ride them all and choose the one you like best. Here is a full review of my Yamaha PWC experience...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...urs+perfection
    First I've heard of the LX having a wet ride...sure it wasn't the base model? I believe it's the only one with a flatter hull.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I don't think any one of those would be a bad choice. If you can get a chance to ride all of them, I would do that and pick the one you like best. If you like to carry things though, the Kawi kills them all in available storage. What type of water will you be riding in? Thats a huge factor.
    Mostly smooth on touring rides but some tours are in the Gulf so I want something that handles rough water better (and dryer) than my F-12's...I can ride beside an FX HO/SHO in chop and they aren't bouncing while I'm getting a work out.

Quote Originally Posted by wally43 View Post
    Yes Bryan the storage on the LX is amazing I have ridden the LX in rough water, its no wetter than the FXHO with a better hull and dont rule out the the Honda. Parts are not that hard to come by even here in New Zealand.The only reason I suggested the F15 was because you were looking at the F12 plus the F15 is still one of the dryest ride's.
    Plus Honda still exist its not the like brand has gone.
    The Sea Doo would also be a great choice, like Bryan said personal preference comes into play.
    Thanks. I was hoping to hear from someone that had ridden the LX and FX HO as I've only tried the FX HO.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Donkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SEA-NYLE View Post
    ... I was really looking hard at the Ultra LX, until I sat on that BLACK seat cover on a 90 deg. day. It really burned my ass (pun intended). Deal breaker for me ....
    ... I believe I read that they changed the seat on the LX for that reason? Or maybe that was another brand...
    Seats can be recovered, either DIY or professionally. Your choice of colors and fabric types.

We had a different brand/model seat recovered by Jet Trim, very happy with the result.

Not all that expensive to do, relative to the cost of the watercraft.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information