2010 VX1100 Yamaha Waverunner - First winterization, problems

I have owned unit since new...I am in the middle of my first winterization and realized I miss read manual and ran water before starting motor (several times)....

I have talked to my parts dept. and he tells me to check oil for water (fresh oil, no milky look) and pull plugs and crank to see if it produces any water (it does not)...

I did the Ask a Mechanic thing and I am told it takes a bit of time running water before starting motor to backup water into motor....

what else can I do to put my mind at ease?

Also I noticed that it runs fine but it, at idle will run up and down (pulse run)....what do I need to do to address this?

Bye
    Last edited by K447; 11-06-2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: clarified, thread title

+1
    You could run it on the hose again and rev it up a few times but being that the VX models are 4 stroke you shouldn't have anything to worry about. It would be a different story with a 2 stroke where water could back up into the cylinder and into the crankcase.
    If you did have water intrusion into the cylinder it more than likely would have only entered 1 cylinder maybe 2 but not likely 2. because the water would have to enter through the exhaust valves. running it 10 to 15 minutes on the hose should clear everything up.

Do NOT run the ski any longer then 1-2 minuets on the ski or you are going to hurt your ski. The through hull fitting will get torn up if it not cooled. If you want to run it for that period of time, do it in the water and not on the hose...

Dont worry about your ski, if you had an actual problem, it wouldn't be running right now. Let the ski rest and you'll be good to go

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    Do NOT run the ski any longer then 1-2 minuets on the ski or you are going to hurt your ski. The through hull fitting will get torn up if it not cooled.
    In my experience, 1-2 mins flushing on the hose is not long enough if used in salt water. Have you seen the through the hull fitting get damaged because of running too long out of water? Seadoo four stokes are different & should never be run for more then a couple of minutes on the hose, but I have never had a problem with my FX's.........I'll always flush for 3-4 minutes but also run for 10-15 minutes if doing an oil change.........never had a problem.

Honestly, of the half a dozen vx fleets (9-14 skis) ive been through over the years, none of them were ever flushed. And they lasted 300+ hours before the pump needed replacing, Never overheating issues or anything of the sorts, no internal corrosion. Corrosion happens after the ski sits for a long period of time. So if you are a weekend rider, A simple flush till the water comes out and about 20 seconds after that is literally all they need. They are going to corrode on the outside a lot worse then on the inside. But thats mainly because of cheap clamps and bolts. You want to put the seat to where its just propped open and not latched when you get home to make sure the ski drys out. I like to open the hatch and the seat every morning when i do my daily checks, and leave them open for an hour or so. It really makes a difference as to how much mold and moisture stays in there....

+1
    If you have normal water pressure then run it the time I suggested in my earlier post. If you are worried about the time limit then read the service Manuel. Salt water is bad on these ski and a couple of minutes on the hose is not long enough to flush all the salt from the cooling system regardless of what some say.

Lol, yeah..run your ski for At least 20 minuets, its WAY better then 5-6....be that idiot in your neiborhood that revs it up to red line every 10 seconds too, it's okay, the manual says its all good. Ive only been through 70+ vx110 skis over the 9 years, I certainly don't know what I'm talking about...
    Last edited by kwtony; 11-08-2013 at 06:23 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    Lol, yeah..run your ski for At least 20 minuets, its WAY better then 5-6....be that idiot in your neiborhood that revs it up to red line every 10 seconds too, it's okay, the manual says its all good. Ive only been through 70+ vx110 skis over the 9 years, I certainly don't know what I'm talking about...
    Talking like that you certainly do not. Who cares how many ski you may have owned. For every ski you say you have owned multiply that number times 100 and it might come close to the amount that has come through my shop in a year. I wish you renters would stop giving mechanics advice. LMAO.
    Last edited by mudslanger; 11-08-2013 at 09:32 AM.

+1
    Is the manual now different for the operation of the 1100 vs the 1812 engine? My 2013 VXR manual has warnings in several different sections stating clearly never operate the ski over 4000RPM out of water.

Thread Information