D.I.Y. Gauge cluster plastic restoration (no tools required)

I have to assume someone had a comprehensive gauge restoration thread on here but after reading a few posts on the topic I wanted to add my personal formula. No special tools required. The results were well beyond acceptable. I was unable to read the gauges in the sun before doing this project. It could easily be done while the gauges are still mounted but mine happened to be removed at the time.

1. Pick up the smallest quantity of 1200 grit wet sandpaper you can find. I needed one single 2" by 1.5" chunk for the entire project.

2. Mcguiar's PlastX headlight restore Polish or other light duty abrasive polish.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131106_193506.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	318052

3. 1/2 ounce of human spit.

4. 10 minutes of your life

Name:	20131106_193156.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	318051
    I just spit on the gauge face, doubled the small chunk of 1200 sandpaper over and rubbed the damaged plastic surface in any direction that I wanted to. I tried to stick with a small circular motion but that wasn't possible on all of the areas of the gauge face. Keep the surface slippery and wet and just keep rubbing the face with medium pressure. Im sure you can get down on it if you want to but it's okay if you want to wus out too. Wipe the face off after every minute or so to check progress. The heavier scratches will quickly be replace with a fine scratch haze. Work the edges more because these are the easiest parts to neglect. Once the surface has a nice, uniform dull haze across the entire area...

Splat a small dollup (about a dime sized drop at most) of the PlastX polish and just rub it in hard. Circles, straight or whatever pattern works for you. It will very quickly come clear.

NOTE: I am certain that the results would have been near flawless if I had added a step of using 1500 or 2000 grit wet at the end before the polishing compound but the results from this 2 step system will be sufficient for most of us I'm sure.

I also used just the PlastX polish to shine up the face cover...which was quite dull looking.

Name:	20131106_232347.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	318053

Now mount those gauges, grab a cold beer and brag to your friends how you just saved 200 on a new-used gauge cluster because you ARE Mackgreuber!

Ocean City MD.
    Thanks, do you think it will work on my 01 GPR front storage cover?

Thread Information