Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sportster LE DI

Sportster LE DI

Greetings, Everyone!

I recently purchased a 2005 SeaDoo Sportster LE DI with just 30-hours on it. I've been lurking over at JetBoating.net and recently found this forum as well. One thing I've noticed is the Sportster LE DI is rarely mentioned, and it has me a little concerned. I did quite a bit of research before buying, but obviously failed to touch base with a good forum before diving in (it was a good deal, and it was my 30th birthday so...).

Anyway...does anyone here have anything good, bad, or indifferent to say about the LE DI? I know it was SeaDoo's entry level boat for a while there, and I'm hoping that explains the lack of mention and enthusiasm for the boat on these two forums. I am not new to boating (had a nice 16' deck boat growing up) but this is my first boat and my first experience with a jetboat of any kind (never been on a PWC). I was going to play it safe and buy a brand new Tracker SuperGuide 16-DLX with a 50hp 2-stroke Mercury outboard, but a quick, nimble little runabout was really what I wanted. SeaDoo's current "entry level" boat is way out of my price range and wouldn't fit in my garage, so finding this barely used Sportster was a pleasant surprise. I'm just worried that I traded a Mercury with a 6-year top-to-bottom warranty for a Rotax with overwhelming maintenance demands (I'm very much mechanically inclined, just not wanting to lose time on the water because of stupid crap).

In any case, hope to hear from someone one way or the other.

-z00t

Isnt the LE just the unsupercharged version of the SCIC 215??

the sea doo boats are all good from everything ive heard.. (thats why i ordered one)

Quote Originally Posted by welterracer View Post
    Isnt the LE just the unsupercharged version of the SCIC 215??
    No, it has a 130hp 2-stroke 2-cylinder 947cc Rotax engine with direct injection.

The LE DI is an injected 951 2 stroke. I had an '03 LE which was the carbureted version of the same engine. I had terrible luck with mine and there doesn't seem to be much love for them. However that does not mean that you will automatically have problems. Follow the maintenance procedures religiously and don't cheap out on the oil, unless they changed between '03 and '05 you must use the more expensive synthetic oil.

If you boat in saltwater make sure you flush the engine after every use, I've seen the corrosion build up around the cooling jackets even on engines that were flushed religiously develop within 30 hours. Personally, I flush after every use whether it's fresh or saltwater, it doesn't cost anything for the peace of mind.

The previous owner used it on Lake Erie, and I intend to use it solely on freshwater lakes and rivers. Flushing it out either way sounds like a good idea, and I foresee no problem getting it done.

If you don't mind my asking, what problems did you have with yours? I've read a few posts about problems with the carb'd models, and before 2005 the pump housing was plastic which was apparently another issue. I am hoping the upgrade to fuel injection and a metal pump housing addressed whatever issues the boat had previously.

I never had a pump issue, but multiple engine failures. The first occured at just under 10 hours. One of the engine failures was caused by improper rebuild by one of the two dealers that worked on it. The DI model should be that much more reliable without the worry of lean a/f ratio that can be problematic on the twin carb models.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I do plan to use Bombardier XPS II exclusively (know a good source?) and plan to empty the existing oil when I get the boat here to my house (still at the dealership for the time being). I hope the previous owner used XPS II in it as well, but don't want to assume he did, so whatever is in there has to go. I perform 100% of the maintenance and most of the repairs on my motorcycle and truck, so I will religiously look after the engine in this boat. I would just like to keep it to pre-season prep and post season storage, rather than tear something major apart right in the middle of a nice summer.

I have not bought the xps synthetic in a couple of years since going 4 stroke. I always begrudingly bought from the local dealer. You should probably post in the 2 stroke section and ask for some sources. Since you said the '05 has an updated pump, I'm not sure if you have to worry about changing the pump oil or greasing the pto shaft. Getting a repair manual is a must when doing your own work. Good luck and have fun with it.

+1
    Here is another option for you on the Synthetic Oil side. Prices listed are Retail. For a price quote E-Mail, PM or Call me.

Interceptor Oil
    http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=367509&page=storefront/ait

HP Injector Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil (HPI)
    http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=367509&page=storefront/hpi

Thumbs up I have your boat

I have had many 14.5s. The DI is probably the best so far. Quiet and
    very cheap to run. Does not have the hole shot of the twins, but really
    a much smoother package.
    As an injected engine, there is really not alot you can do to it yourself.
    Pump oil change, top off counter balancer oil, lube pto. Oil filter from time
    to time. The fuel filter service is expensive. Have heard of a few who changed fittings to make it easier. Head needs to be torqued to spec after
    the ten hour break in. Most will not bother, so worth it to have checked out.
    So basic maint. is about all you can do. As with all sea doo product, engine
    bay is a little messy. Tie wraps here and there go along way to tighten things
    up.
    I have about 25 hrs on mine, no problems, not even a burp. As far as speed, no idea, never gps it. Maybe 50 with a light load. I would fog after
    every use, period. A little engine rev at the ramp helps displace exhaust water.
    Over all, a pretty cool package. I use xps2 oil, but I have an extended
    warranty, so I will not change.When warranty is up I will use penzoil air cooled 2 stroke oil. I will use Mercury power tune in spring to
    decarbon engine. Rave valves need to be cleaned by hand.
    I purchased tech manual from sea doo, and this one is pretty good. In
    the past, manuals were sketchy at best. It is worth the money. Do all
    maint., and you should have no problems. Blow it off, and the Rotax will
    bite...........good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information