Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winterizing antifreeze question...

I am getting ready to winterize my jet ski. I have winterized my boat for years using green antifreeze. I read on here where everybody says use pink rv antifreeze to winterize their jet ski. What is the reasoning behind the pink stuff. Doesn't the green have more corrosion protection? I have everything else to winterize..fuel stabilizer, fogging oil...etc.

Banned User
    +1
    Thi pink stuff is non toxic and wont pollute. Are you referring to auto antifreeze when you say the green stuff?

Yes auto antifreeze.

for crying out loud, please dont use any automotvie antifreez in your water toys !

Ok..for crying out loud you don't have to yell at me! You have yet to give me a good reason why. My reason for doing it is superior rust and corrosion protection! As I stated earlier I have been using it in my I/O boat for years. Even owner of a Crownline dealership told my friend it was fine and they sometimes did it. Me and my friend have been doing for years.
    Last edited by dwbarg; 11-08-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: add to it

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dwbarg View Post
    Ok..for crying out loud you don't have to yell at me! You have yet to give me a good reason why. My reason for doing it is superior rust and corrosion protection! As I stated earlier I have been using it in my I/O boat for years. Even owner of a Crownline dealership told my friend it was fine and they sometimes did it. Me and my friend have been doing for years.
    I guess you don't care about dumping that stuff all over the ground or in our waterways. Its bad bad stuff. It works for what you are using it for, but it needs to be drained of and disposed of properly. Corrosion is not the issue we are protecting against in a watercraft, only freezing. Rv antifreeze is safe to be flushed out as it is non toxic.

+1
    I know alot of people with I/O that still use the green stuff they say the Corrosion protection is the reason why due to it sitting in the engine all winter. You can agree or disagree with that thought processes but your suppose to drain it out before putting it in the water.

However, on outboards and ski's there is no reason to use the green stuff there self draining engines some even say you dont have to use anything in them.

whatever you use its a good idea to blow out the exhaust with some blips of the throttle with the nose of the ski up. I use the pink stuff on my ski's and outboards, never had a problem.

+1
    Yes please use the pink stuff. No big deal if u didn't know till now but switch. If u want corrosion protection and ride in salt water use salt away. It's good stuff. My ski is 95% salt water ridding and I have NO corrosion issues. For god sakes it's great

Ok thanks. I always crank my toys up on a hose and flush the antifreeze out before I run them in the water!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dwbarg View Post
    ... You have yet to give me a good reason why.

My reason for doing it is superior rust and corrosion protection!

As I stated earlier I have been using it in my I/O boat for years. Even owner of a Crownline dealership told my friend it was fine and they sometimes did it. Me and my friend have been doing for years.
    There are multiple types and variations of antifreeze these days. Do not depend on the color tint of the product to tell you what it actually is. Read the product label.

The core issue is that Ethylene Glycol is poison. A small amount can contaminate a large quantity of lake water or the ground. It is toxic to animals and pets.

Propylene Glycol is not poison. This is why it is safe to use it in the drinking water pipes inside an RV, seasonal buildings, and in watercraft. It is not a problem if some of it gets into the rivers and lakes, at least nowhere near the problems that ethylene glycol creates.

Propylene Glycol is an excellent anti-freeze and is widely used in engines, including some automotive applications.

Use or preference for 'the green stuff' is primarily historical (it is what used to be commonly used) and is in no way a better product for use in watercraft.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information