Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: help!!!

help!!!

my 96 polaris slt 780 has not run in 2 years and I have tried to do some work on it . When I took it out it smoked relly bad and would not go over about 20mph and when I would give it more gas it just made a throbbing noise and wouldnt go any faster. then after 20 min or so it immediatley stopped and wouldnt crank.Any suggestions????

+1
    tommy, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums.

You are probably going to have to start from the beginning.
    What's your compression?
    Are you getting spark?
    How do the spark plugs look?
    Did you have oil in the tank?
    Were there any flashing red lights on the MFD?
    Did you install extra oil in the fuel supply when starting?
    Did you put fresh fuel in the boat?
    Have you cleaned the carbs? Jets are probably blocked with fuel gel.

Just a waaayy wild guess here.
    It was limiting because fuel level was low (fuel sender doesn't float anymore) and it fouled a plug or three.
    For something real fast try trimming the spark plug wires back 1/4-1/2 inch and then screwing the orange caps back on, replace the spark plus, fresh fuel and give it another try??
    P.S. make sure the fuel line is in good working order. From 96 I'd replace it ALL.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Exactly what he said. ^^^^^^ and welcome!

Hey

Yes I changed the plugs and put more gas in it but i didnt do anything to the oil. I did put some carb. cleaner in the carb to get it started. I am taking it apart now. There was a ton of gunk in the water box and I tried to clean it. I am now trying to remove the carborator. What do I need to look for in there???? And what can I do about the gas float??? My mfd is broken all except for the red light that was blinking. What can I do??O and what did you mean by trimming the plugs? Thanks for the help.

o yea

o yea and how do I check compression?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy33mac View Post
    Yes I changed the plugs and put more gas in it but i didnt do anything to the oil. I did put some carb. cleaner in the carb to get it started. I am taking it apart now. There was a ton of gunk in the water box and I tried to clean it. I am now trying to remove the carborator. What do I need to look for in there???? And what can I do about the gas float??? My mfd is broken all except for the red light that was blinking. What can I do??O and what did you mean by trimming the plugs? Thanks for the help.
    You don't need to seperate the carbs from one another, just remove the entire rack and remove the plates with 4 screws in it. If any of the seals look dry, cracked or in poor shape get a kit and rebuild them. You're looking for any foreign debris in the jet passages, needle seat you want no groove in the rubber. Spray carb cleaner through all carb passages, if you go to my pictures gallery it gives you complete rebuild guides for the carbs (I haven't posted then here yet).
    You can purchase the fuel float seperately and replace it, that should take care of the flashing light??
    Trimming the wires. Pull the orange caps attached to the spark plugs and unscrew them off the spark plug wire. Cut the spark plug wire back the 1/4-1/2 inch and then screw the spark plug boot back onto the wire.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy33mac View Post
    o yea and how do I check compression?
    You have a compression gauge?
    If not, you'll need to buy or borrow one.
    Remove all the plugs, ground wires, screw that sucker in, hold throttle wide open and crank until the gauge stops, go to next cylinder and repeat. All numbers should be within 10 percent of each other.

+1
    You said you ADDED more gas? You need to discard the 2 yr. old gas and get all new fresh fuel AND oil. Although I fear it's already too late for the fresh fuel. Old gas that sits for a while gums up and creates a varnish on the inside of the carbs. It then will clog up the passages, you should consider getting a rebuild kit for the carbs. Use only original Mikuni Super BN 38mm kits and you will need a total of 3, 1 for each carb.

thanks for the help where can I get a good rebuild kit that I wont go broke over? Ebay??

+1
    Ebay is a good start. Some of the guys on here sell them, like Jay at Atlantic (let him know you're a GH member and get 10% off), Randy at Watcon and many others I can't think of. You can search for vendors on this site as this is THE best group of guys around IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information