2000 kawasaki ultra has no spark

hey guys new to the forums and sport, i just got a 2000 kawasaki ultra 150 with 130hrs on it, for $800. its in great shape except seat had a small tear, propeller looked decent had some dings, but i guess my first question is, is $800 a good deal for this year ski? next, i cant get the dash to light up or the ski to start, i am pretty good with motors and electronics, but i am new to working on jetskis. i can jump the starter selonoid and get the starter to turn the motor but cannot get dash trm or spark to work. thx for any help.

+1
    Security key switch off or on??

yes key is on. now, iv read 3 different posts about ultra 150's with similar proplems, no dash trim or spark, and all of these were resolved with changing the starter relay, any ideas on how that is possible? i mean i do see wires goin into the top of the starter relay, but i didnt think that would cause the dash not to come on. does the starter relay have to be good for the dash to come on?

+1
    There are 2 circuit breakers at the top of the rear of the seat opening. Check those. The starter relay has nothing to do with no dash or trim. So forget the starter relay. When you turn the Orange security key on, even without a lanard, the display should come on.
    The main power control is the black box connected to the front cross member above the gas tank. It see th security key signal, then turns the power on for the ECU and all other functions. Could be a bad security key assembly.
    Once you get power, first thing before you start it would be a compression check. Should be better than 120lbs per cylinder.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gintstone View Post
    hey guys new to the forums and sport, i just got a 2000 kawasaki ultra 150 with 130hrs on it, for $800. its in great shape except seat had a small tear, propeller looked decent had some dings, but i guess my first question is, is $800 a good deal for this year ski?
    No, you got ripped off. I'll give you $1200 for it.

Really, it sounds like you stole it if the engine's in good shape.

Find a service manual (there are places where you can download it for free) and dig in.

Check the oil lines, they get brittle and crack with age. Check the cable for the oil pump as they tend to fray badly.

Expect to overhaul the jet pump soon, if it hasn't been done. The Triple Pisser Mod is a very worthwhile thing to do to it. A cooling water strainer and an electric bilge pump are great additions, too.

k thx guys ill keep you informed on any changes with the ski.

went home and tinkered a bit, looked at the fuses and one fuse has been replaced with a 30a (looks like it came from a car )fuse instead of the factory one. the other fuse is still the factory one, it says "trim" on it. would this solve the issue? and where do i get a replacement?

+1
    Well, if someone replaced the main circuit breaker with a 30A fuse, that says the ski has or has had bigtime electrical issues.
    Is the 30A fuse blown? I personally have never seen the circuit breaker replaced with a fuse, does not sound good.

If it blew the 30A fuse, your going to have to find whats causing it.
    When had it last run, do you know the history of the ski?

Step one, may be a bucket of bolts.

Thread Information