Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Which Amsoil product for Jet Pump Oil

I didn't yank my boats' jet pump when I winterized, since I was planning on pulling them anyway to put in new wear rings and impellers.

I plan to remove all the OEM grease from the pump cone, and replace with oil. I'm an Amsoil user, and so I'm trying to decide which of these would work best in the jet pump cone:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/

The Severe Gear 75W-90 looks closest to what is generally recommended (75W-90 synthetic), but I'm also interested in the Universal SYnthetic Marine Gear Lube farther down the page. It's slightly less expensive, but says it resists foaming and will still operate properly with up to 10% water contamination. However, Google found one report on another forum that claims he used the Amsoil marine gear oil and it overheated his bearings:

http://www.shopsbt.com/forum/sea-doo...-pump-oil.html

Although when I read the specs on the Amsoil AGM, I'm inclined to be skeptical of that poster's claims. It's a 75W/80W-90, with a 421F flash point.

And although I've found that one overheating warning, Google found plenty of other posts on many other boards that say the Aimsoil AGM works fine for them.

However, this being the 'Hulk, I trust the opinions of the DIY mechanics here over some random posts Google brings me.

Banned User
    +1
    If its working with the grease why mess with it?

+1
    I use the Marine Gear Lube. The article where that guy burned up his bearings...sounds like he added too much following his refill procedure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckmoto View Post
    I use the Marine Gear Lube. The article where that guy burned up his bearings...sounds like he added too much following his refill procedure.
    +1. Been using it for years on a couple skis. Search for snomans post on how much to use from awhile back.

I've also read about some guys mixing a paste of the Amsoil marine gear lube with the Amsoil GWR (synthetic water resistant grease). That way they get the benefits of oil (flows around better) and the benefits of the grease (less likely to leak out). I was thinking about pulling the cone, cleaning everything out, applying a small amount of the Amsoil grease to the bearings themselves, then putting the 2oz of the AGM in the cone and calling it a day.

+1
    I mix mine with the amsoil grease and a little 10w40 amsoil been doing that for 3 years issue free

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Steve View Post
    I've also read about some guys mixing a paste of the Amsoil marine gear lube with the Amsoil GWR (synthetic water resistant grease). That way they get the benefits of oil (flows around better) and the benefits of the grease (less likely to leak out). I was thinking about pulling the cone, cleaning everything out, applying a small amount of the Amsoil grease to the bearings themselves, then putting the 2oz of the AGM in the cone and calling it a day.
    This is what I have been doing since 2005.

jpt: Do you premix a paste, or just do the "lazy" way I am thinking of doing?

+1
    About to do the same thing but was planning on just the 75-90 or 75-140 gear oil but the Mobile 1 has LS additives. If its going to leak oil out its going to be leaking in water so it would need a rebuild anyways. We know the grease doesn't even stay on the bearing and gets pushed back. Let us know what you use.

UPDATE: decided on Royal Purple 75w90 and got a tub of marine grease. Going to make a runny paste with the two. Hope its ok since all the gear oil I have found have friction modifiers in them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131111_153232.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	300.3 KB 
ID:	318330  
    Last edited by Pwgsx; 11-11-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Sounds like a good plan, Pwgsx. Only thing is we won't really be able to tell how it's working until it's time to crack it open again... and hope that there's still oil in it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information